MyWi Transmit Power

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simm0nS777, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

What do you guys have this set at? Is keeping it low to save battery life ok since the phone is usually right next to the laptop? Also does this just have to do with how far it reaches r does the lower the transmit mean the lower the speed?

2. twigg macrumors member

If its right next to the laptop then 30% is fine. But if your just tethering to one laptop then just tether via USB.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I have mine at 100%. It's charging at the same time though. My wireless router seems to hate my xBox S. Because of this, I'm just using my phone to give me xBox live access. Too bad I can't tether through the USB port =/

4. Jas1222 macrumors newbie

Your Xbox detects it? Only iPhones/iPods/Macs detect mine!

5. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do you tether via usb? just turn the usb option on and plug it in?

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Why wouldn't it? It's a Wifi network like any other. I just scan for networks and enter the key. Although I do feel guilty. Streaming movies used up about 150MB's in half an hour! Thank god for unlimited data =/

7. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok what all do I have to turn on and setup in mywi for usb tethering to work?

8. MicroApple macrumors regular

Wait what are you running an XBox live game off of 3G? :confused:

Why don't you make your desktop/laptop connect to your router and them use your laptop/desktop as a hotspot:
    http://lifehacker.com/280002/turn-your-laptop-into-a-wireless-hot-spot

9. irich25 macrumors regular

just wait until at&t bills you for tethering...

10. iphonedude123 macrumors member

The people who abuse tethering make me sick. Using as a primary internet account, playing xbox on it, e.g.

I see nothing wrong with some basic internet browsing but seriously, the rest of you who abuse it deserve to be billed per megabyte and sued.

11. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only use it when my internet goes out or on vacation where there's no internet, chill.

12. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol not gonna happen

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Please forgive my router for not wanting to work properly. I'll have to go purchase a new one later today or tomorrow. I am now most heavily indebted to AT&T for having tethered for the past two days. Sarcasm aside, I don't think it's wrong at all. My past data usage shows I use very little data and I'm sure reaching 500MB in one month isn't going to murder my neighbors 3G.

Attached Files:

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Actually, it has. A friend of mine jailbroke his iphone and tethered for a few months, then got a bill for 2K even though he had an unlimited plan. He got it reduced to $700 and he paid it.

I'm not saying its right. Unlimited data is unlimited data the way I see it but its happened.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You just turn it on under the settings. Then you set your Mac to choose and detect the USB connection in Network Preferences.

16. Simm0nS777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sounds like ******** to me but if it is true then he was using like 30GB of data a month and using tethering as his only internet connection. I may use tethering once or twice a month, not too worried about it.

17. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

not ********, but the lines are vague. I think my max amount was 6 gbs in one month (didn't get contacted) but probably because my other months were around 1-2gb

I use my iPhone as my only means of internet connection at home, but don't be stupid about it. I use it just to check e-mail, chat with friends.

Im sure if AT&T notices that you are consistently using 10gb+ a month every month it will send off red flags.

18. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

10GB seems extremely excessive.

19. irich25 macrumors regular

was refering to the person that was using it for their xbox live