MyWi vs Tether

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by h1r0ll3r, Dec 29, 2011.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

For those of you that managed to get Tether and have MyWi, do you use both or one over the other? I managed to get Tether prior to it being pulled and it's ok. MyWi will allow hotspotting however I'm wondering if it's better to use one or the other.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm pretty sure Tether's different in that it does not allow tethering over WiFi, MyWi does.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

So, the Tether app from the App store is IMO, the last resource I'll use if I have no other way of tethering. It sucks, I mean in order to use it, you have to have already downloaded a corresponding app on your computer to pair with the app on your iPhone...just a bother. So MyWi blows Tether out of the water in terms of functionality, though you have to pay a price for it.
    My personal favorite tether app is the Cydia app called TetherMe. It is way cheaper than MyWi and it does both personal hotspot/bluetooth/USB tethering. It actually is so simple that it is not a distinct app on your phone, all you have to do is go into the stock Settings Personal Hotspot location and turn it on like you would if you were paying for ATT hotspot capability. I love it.

PS: I too have the Tether app, but I only got it for the case that I don't have a JB on my phone.

4. nmork macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

+1 for TetherMe.