iPhone MyWi vs Tetherme?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RolledUp20s, Jan 29, 2012.

1. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

Hey, just after some advice about MyWi - its 20dollars. Tetherme is free.
    I have been using Tetherme to share my iphone 4s 3G with my iPad 2 (wifi only)
    ...so, that works fine.

What exactly does MyWi do? Is that like wifi speeds from anywhere you are?

Is tetherme using my iphone data allowance? ...the description says its a direct vpn? Connection to the iphone & so 'shouldn't use your allowance'.

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

not sure about tetherme, but when i use the default personal hotspot thats on the iphone, the gps location is not transferred to my ipad
    but using mywifi im able to use location services fine on ipad
    ive always had mywifi except the fact that maybe battery drains bit too quickly.

3. superdudeo macrumors regular

I don't understand why people use MyWi. Just use iTether and Tetherme. Connection via bluetooth and less of a battery drain I think and a lot cheaper too.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Offcourse it uses your allowance from your carriers monthly data plan.
    Where do you think it gets the internet? From heaven?
    And Tetherme is not free either, its $5.
    MyWi just has many more tweaks and features.
    Details here:http://intelliborn.com/mywi.html

5. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

Well mr sarcastic, your wrong.
    Tetherme is free. I have it. It also says in the description it doesnt use your data allowance because of the way it connects.
    I was just seeing who else uses it, have they noticed the data usuage?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    You're serious now? Offcourse it uses your carrier data and that comes out of your monthly plan. Where would that data come from for free?
    And its not free, its $4.99. Maybe you downloaded a cracked version and that's how you got it for free but its not free.
    Keep using it and you'll see how fast it eats your monthly data allowance. Wether you use it from your phone or you use your phone to tether you're using your carriers data and that is automaticly measured on their end.
    Im done responding to you, you're clueless obviously.

7. Skystar macrumors 6502

It's not free, and read the description. It says you should not be charged "tethering costs" but you are still responsible for the data you use. And if you have an unlimited plan on AT&T, they an switch it out if they find out you are tethering.

8. RolledUp20s thread starter macrumors regular

..ye ok thanks for clearing that up.

The install was deffo free though. The only purchase i have made in JB is 3G unrestrictor for factime. I havent paid for tetherme. I used it for 10 seconds to test it, other than that i probably wont use it anyway. I like to do things coz i can & then move on to the next thing lol.

To add.....does mifi use your data allowance? Coz why would you pay £20 for it when tetherme does the same...free. Its free dammit, FREE I TELZ YOU!! :)

9. wpotere Guest

10. Wifi13 macrumors newbie

Facts

TetherMe does indeed cost $4.99, and tethering of any kind most certainly expends your data allowance.

11. Gostrath macrumors newbie

tetherme free?!?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about tetherme not using your data plan allotment. Here is the story.

tetherme is "free" to use in that it does NOT require the use of a paid tethering plan from your carrier. This means that you do not have to pay additional tethering fees to your carrier. It does, however, consume data on your data plan when you use it, just like surfing the web directly on your IPhone does.

It seems that people are confusing "doesn't need a tethering plan" with "doesn't use your data plan" tetherme DOESN'T need a a tethering plan. It does use you data plan and consumes your data allowance.

Hope this helps.

As far as tetherme being free, it isn't. Tetherme costs $4.99. Pay the fee. These people work to create these apps so that you don't get soaked for $20+/month tethering plans. The least you could do is support their work by paying the measly 5 bucks.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This should clear up this misconception for out pirate/err thread starter

Attached Files: