MyWi won't stop broadcasting....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jonomo, May 19, 2010.

1. jonomo macrumors regular

So I used Spirit Jailbreak yesterday and installed MyWi with Rock... here are some issues I'm having....

1. Iphone got really hot.. never had it get so hot before...
    2. MyWi would never really shut down properly.. even when you turned off the Wifi sharing, it would still say it was broadcasting... draining battery and remaining hot....
    3. For some reason you could connect your iphone to the same Wifi signal it was broadcasting...
    4. Other Wifi signals would no longer work.. it would not connect to my home wifi anymore.. it could not even locate it.... you could only see the wifi signal that the phone was broadcasting.. and that was AFTER I tried to make it stop broadcasting...
    5. Battery would drain like crazy.. now I would not mind if it was broadcasting wifi and I was tethering it to my Ipad.. but it would just drain when I tried to shut down MyWi....

Just a quick note I live in Korea where the Ipad has not launched yet.. I purchased it on a quick trip to Sonoma, CA a few weeks ago and I wasn't sure if the 3G could be made to work here (and I could not find a store with a 3G model in stock as I arrived in CA the day it launched).... I love my Ipad but the whole Wifi issue is haunting me badly.. I pretty much have to do a hard reset of the Ipad every time it tries to connect to a new Wifi location.. totally suxors!!!!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

try installing SBSettings from cydia and go in to processes and see if the MyWi process is still running when you are having these problems. If it is then you should be able to kill the process and stop MyWi from running.

you might want to try the solution in this thread on modmyi.com and if that doesn't work then search around that site and see if you can find any more solutions.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Are you properly disconnecting the computer from MyWi first (see screenshot)

Then turn off tethering in MyWi.

Attached Files:

4. biver macrumors newbie

Proper MyWi Shutdown Solution - kinda

I'm finding the following behavior on the IPAD and have come up with a solution that definitely shuts it down properly each and every time. I thought I was experiencing the same behavior on the iPhone 3Gs but I can't seem to make it fail to stop broadcasting now.

Problem:

Even after sliding the WiFi Tethering Toggle of MyWi to OFF, it continues to flash the blue status bar at the top of the screen even though the toggle now reads OFF and is most definitely still running.

Solution:
    I know this is lame, but it totally works for me every time.

After you've been using MyWi normally and the WiFi Tethering toggle says ON (pic 1 - normal):

1. Slide it once to turn it off. (You should now see the cog spinning (pic 2 - cog) and eventually say OFF - (pic 3 - Weird) even though the blue tethering status bar is still there - hmm, seems like it's still on to me)

2. Press the Home Button (You don't need to wait for the cog to finish spinning)

3. Run MyWi (You'll notice that when you come back in, the WIFI Tethering toggle is set back to ON...even if you wait for the cog to complete it's spinning and the toggle actually says, "OFF")

4. Repeat Steps 1-3 about 5-7 times (I know, I know) and eventually, you will see the popup (pic 4 - cleaning) that says, "Cleaning up MyWi. Please Wait..."

Needless this is really annoying to have to do every time you want to turn it off.

Files are attached.

Attached Files:

5. jonomo thread starter macrumors regular

I just restored my iphone and installed the cracked version of MyWi and it seems to work fine. I just make sure that the tethering is OFF now everytime I log out just to make sure that it's no longer broadcasting.

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I've been using MyWi for months, and it still broadcasts the SSID after I turn it off. I can't hook up to it, but I do see the SSID. Each time I turn off the app, I get the "cleaning up MyWi" message...it doesn't take several times for this to happen as mentioned before.

I think this is an app issue and the developer should be made aware of it. It doesn't appear to have any adverse effects, i.e. battery life deterioration, so I'm not too worried about it. It's just odd.

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Change you SSID to something funny to give everyone a laugh :D.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Good idea ;)