n/ac wifi versus ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drummer5645, Jul 4, 2014.

1. drummer5645 macrumors member

Its early in the morning and I am trying to rationalize what an AV installer said yesterday, His comment said a wifi n or ac [my new TC] is actually faster than a dedicated ethernet cable connection.

Is this true and under what conditions could it be??

If interested, I am considering to connect a wifi router off the TC and distribute to a smart TV, roku and Denon av amp. Longest distance is 30' same floor.

Thanks

2. satcomer, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The fastest speed is wired and I urge people that to stream 4k video wired is the only way to grow. The AC is great but TVs haven't caught up to that yet. Plus in your Extreme make sure you use the upper wireless channels to minimize wireless crosstalk.

3. wuush macrumors member

Ac is only 1300 Mbit/s under Perfect conditions... (N is Not)

I would say ******** to such a General Statement.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a new Time Capsule. This is what I get on my 2013 MacBook Air connecting to a fast USB 3 disk on my Mac Mini with 802.11ac on the 5ghz band in the same room.

[​IMG]

And this is the same test using gigabit ethernet.

[​IMG]

5. drummer5645 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I'm not crazy then. I couldn't fathom a good quality dedicated cable being out performed by the n at least. I think though I will use a power line connection for the short time.I have a crawl space and the folks charge extra to go under and run wires.

Thanks for the quick feedback