n key not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guidoz, Jun 3, 2015.

1. guidoz, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

guidoz macrumors member

So, I have a MBP 13" mid 2012 2.9Ghz that I upgraded with 16Gb ram, 256Gb SSD (samsung 840 pro), and optibay with original 750Gb HDD.

Since a few months, more or less at the same time with another solved problem (due to broken/poor quality optibay, now replaced with a better one), the n key on my keyboard stopped working.

I tried to clean a bit under the key, but nothing solved.
    I tested all the other keys and they work properly.

It is definitely an HW problem as I had the same problem on fresh install too, and anyway when I press the key it doesn't show as pressed in the virtual keyboard (not sure how to call it in English.. in my italian system it's called "visore tastiera")

I find it strange that only one key can break all of a sudden... it must be my usual bad luck..

Anyway, I have 2 questions:

1) is it possible that I damaged it while dismounting/mounting most of the MBP (not the keyboard though)? I almost completely removed the motherboard once, unplugging the keybord flat cable and plugging it back (not easily at first... then discovered the trick with the sticky tape).. would it be possible that something went wrong in this stage (although i think the problem didn't appear immediately after this)?

2) How can I fix this?

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Not uncommon. I bought a used mid 2012 that had non-working option and left shift keys. Took it to the Apple store and was told that the whole keyboard needs to be replaced. They don't replace just a key unless the key is physically broken but still responds to presses.

3. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Apple store will do it for you. I think I was quoted $170 for the part and labor.

5. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

I don't like paying for what I can do on my own....

plus I live on a tiny island in taly, far away from any apple store.. it would take a couple of weeks to have it fixed, and I don't see why when I can do it on my own in a couple of hours or less....

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It would also take a couple of weeks to buy the part and have it shipped to you. But if you want, this is the part you need, with video instructions. The keyboard and upper case are one piece.

7. guidoz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but my computer would be still usable in those two weeks...

thanks for the info.... still it's damn expensive... :\

guess I'll just get a new computer at some point... not sure it will be another mac, i'm a bit disappointed by a series of troubles... and by the fact that I'd have to spend $200+ for just a broken key (how it broke it's also a mystery... )

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Damn, that's more expensive than directly from Apple. Apple store quoted me $140 for the part and $30 for labor.