N.Korean leader may have iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by haruhiko, Feb 3, 2012.

1. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

N.Korean leader may have iPad2

https://www.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20120203_08.html

NHK sources say North Korea's new leader Kim Jong Un ordered an iPad2 when the tablet computer became an instant global hit last spring.

Kim Jong Un spent several teenage years in Switzerland and is said to be an advocate of the computer to modernize the country's industries.

The iPad2 is gaining popularity in Pyongyang among the sons and daughters of senior government officials.
    The tablet computer could be linked to the Internet in future by a large capacity mobile phone network set up by an Egyptian telecommunications company.

The number of possible users could be limited in North Korea as the government might be afraid of the loss of social control.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 07:51 +0900 (JST)

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Very interesting stuff!
    But I guess censoring internet would be harsher in North Korea than China, right?

3. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

N. Koreans even don't have an Internet to censor.....;)

If there's any Internet in the country, it will be limited to Kim Jong Un or his top officials I guess.

The network that the article mentioned should be an intranet restricted to browsing official documents...

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

haha, i guess so.
    btw, your name is Japanese. Are you Japanese? Just curious :)

5. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

No, I'm not :)

I'm from Hong Kong.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

ahhh, I see :D

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

There are a few hundred people with regular Internet access in North Korea, they get online through a fiberoptic cable from China. These are the most entrusted officials of the regime. PC Room, the Internet cafe in Pyongyang (yes, there is one - but only one) uses satellite connection, and it's open to foreigners only. There are probably limits for which websites one can enter at PC Room, imposed by the venue as ordered by the government. The only way to do whatever you want on the Internet in the DPRK is by bringing your own satellite terminal (good luck with that).

Kwangmyong is open to everyone, though. :D

8. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

Most of N. Korea doesn't have electricity so internet is a no go for most of the country. Do you remember the satellite pic of the Koreas at night?

[​IMG]