N wireless connectivity issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eshroom, Nov 11, 2008.

1. eshroom macrumors 6502

I have a belkin network USB hub, model F5L009, this is in turn connected to an SMC barricade N SMCWBR14S-N2 wireless router. If I try and connect under N it recognises my hard drive but gives me an error when connecting. I have entered firewall and other settings correctly, and am able to connect to the HDD fine when the router is set to use g or n instead of just n.

It seems my aluminium MacBook is using g, is there a way to find out? Also any suggestions as to why I am getting an error? Neither belkin or smc documentation or websites offer a solution, and it seems strange for g to connect fine but not n.

2. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm perhaps I wasn't very concise.

Is it possible, when connected to a network, to see whether airport is using b, g or n? Perhaps through terminal?

Is there any obvious reason why something designed to work with either g or n would work with one or not the other?

3. ascender macrumors 68020

I think if you check in Network Utility you'll get a note of what speed you're connecting at which should give you a fair idea if you're connected via N speeds or not.