N wireless on a Powerbook,

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by victor_patv, May 17, 2007.

1. victor_patv macrumors member

I just finished upgrading my 1st gen macbook to an n card and have a N airport extreme router so the only thing that is going to drag down my network, especially disk access, is my Powerbook G4 1.67.

I've searched the boards and found mention to cardbus cards for N, but all I can find online is G type cards. Are there N wireless cards that would work on my Powerbook? And are any of these 5 ghz?

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you can't find a 802.11n card, do you still have the router/access point you used before you upgraded to the new Airport Extreme?

One of my roommates laptops and all of my TiVos still use 802.11g and there's no way to upgrade them to n, so I use my new Extreme for an 5ghz 802.11n-only network and have my old Extreme attached to one of the three ports for a separate 802.11b/g network.

That doesn't solve the problem of increasing the wireless network speed for the g devices, but it prevents them from slowing down the n network.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If it will work in a PPC model, you can, but because Intel models have the N ones, I'm not sure.

4. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

I do have a G router, but the main reason to upgrade is to allow access to the hard drive connected to the new extreme for video access.
    Are there any cards that would allow the Powerbook to join an N only network? (Preferably at 5 ghz)