Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Absolutely unbelievable.

I see the N.Y. Times app had yet another update, so I loaded it. This one took all of 20 seconds to crash!

I've written them numerous times, but I cannot believe they keep this app available. It is seriously undermining their credibility at anything whatsoever.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
FWIW-- I've never had the NYT app crash. I just got the update, and it's fine too.

The app crashed on my 1st gen iPod touch and now my 2nd gen, too. It crashes just about every time I use it, freezing the entire iPod for a few minutes.

If you look on reviews of the app, I am far from the only one experiencing this.

Wiska

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2009
Rebooting the iTouch seems to fix it for me. There are some bugs (feels a bit flakier), but generally the stories load up a lot faster now.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you play games on your iPhone/iPod a lot, and/or do you reboot it frequently? It might be just another victim of the memory issues... not that this makes it okay, but it seems like Apple at least to some extent needs to be part of fixing that issue.

FWIW, I do play games on my iPhone fairly heavily and, although the NYT app has crashed for me, it does not do so routinely or frequently. Perhaps once for every 30-50 articles I read.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
By the way, I wanted to mention that the latest 3/4/09 update hadn't shown up for me in the app store when I previously posted so I assumed I had the latest version. There is still something wonky about app updates appearing in the update list.

Anyway, I got it yesterday and tried it out today. It did actually lock up the first time I ran it, forcing me to force quit it. After that it worked fine to view a large number of articles. It has some really great new features and polish added to it. The way it shows the script NYT logo on boot and then morphs of to the top banner is cute. The new saved article function is really amazing, although it would be nice to pick articles from the list to download directly and have it happen in the background while one continues browsing.

All in all though, it's a very worthy update.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was using this app this morning and it popped up a window that said something along the lines that I had been using the app for a while, and would I like to take a moment to review it? I've never seen a popup like this yet. Is it a system-wide feature or did they write it into the app? I'm on my phone now but I'll post a screengrab later. Clicking to do a review closed the app and opened its App Store page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.