n00b memory question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forafireescape, Feb 4, 2008.

1. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

So, this pretty much just shows how clueless I am about technical things when it comes to my Mac, but oh well...

I was just wondering about upgrading memory. I have 2GB in my MBP but I was thinking about adding more in the future. Again, these are really basic questions, but I've got to find out somewhere...

-When you buy memory, does it replace the old memory or just add on? For example, should I buy 4GB if I want 4GB, or can I just buy 2GB and add it to my existing 2GB?
    -Are any brands better than others, or are they the same?
    -How would I install it? I mean, no need to go into details...but like, is it something simple where I can unscrew some things and stick it in, or is it more involved?

Thanks for being patient with me :eek:

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I would have thought it'll have 2x1 in it so your'll have to get 2x2
    the surest way would be to open it up and take alook before ordering

You can take alook at ifixit for the tools and how too

http://www.ifixit.com/

3. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

1. Your MBP probably has 1 gig in each slot. In order to get 4 gigs, you will need to buy two 2 gig cards and replace the ones in your MBP currently.
    2. I bought crucial ram from Newegg when I replaced the Ram in my MB. You can usually find the best prices on Newegg and I've heard crucial is one of the best, I've had no problems.
    3. Installation is easyyyyy. You basically take out the battery, unscrew i think it's 3 screws, pull off the L bracket take out the two cards already in there, put the new ones in screw everything back on, put the battery in and you're done.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The memory is in there in two parts (since you have 2GB there are 2 1GB sticks, making it 2x1 like neil321 said) So, to replace that (up to 4GB) you would get 2 2GB sticks (2x2).

There are several good brands, my personal experiences have been with Transcend, Corsair, and Kingston, all of which have lifetime warranties and all of which I have had no issues with. There are several other good brands out there too. The biggest thing to look for in buying it is a lifetime warranty, if it doesn't have a lifetime warranty do not buy it.

As for changing it out, yeah, its very very easy. Its just a matter of taking out some screws and then taking out the old and sticking in the new. Very easy, which is why you'd be crazy to pay $700 from Apple. :)

Hope that helps!

6. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Matched RAM works better. Period. Crucial or OWC are good bets.

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

Is there a reason you feel you need more RAM? For most users, 2 GB is more than enough.

8. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Its very easy to create psd files in excess of 2G depending on the amount of layers you are working with..
    :(

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

Yes, but the OP seems to be new to computers, so I doubt he's working on psd files.
    What I'm getting at, is that there seems to be this rush to get the most RAM possible, yet for most users, it is just a waste of $.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

In a pro machine, why wouldn't you max out the RAM??

11. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Then why would the OP be purchasing a MBP and not simply a MB???
    :rolleyes:

12. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Because the MBP is nicer.

13. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

Cmon... Asthetics aside, most people purchase a MBP because they are a PRO of some sort.

14. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

True, but some may still want an aluminum computer over a plastic one. But the OP may be a Pro at something.

15. stevegmu macrumors regular

Not really. I got mine because I wanted a 17" screen, and think plastic looks cheap.

For what I do with it, and probably the vast majority of users, 2 GB is plenty. For non-professional use, there's no noticeable difference between 2 GB of RAM and 4 GB.

16. forafireescape thread starter macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Well, to settle this argument (sorry for starting it)...

a) I'm a girl, not a guy.
    b I bought the Pro because the person who offered to buy it for me said I could get a Pro if I wanted. So, I went Pro...because it's nicer, and why wouldn't I if I could for no extra expense to myself?
    c) I am not new to computers, nor to Macs. I just have never done much technical work on them before. I'm great with software, but hardware...not so much.
    d) I wasn't saying I wanted to upgrade the memory necessarily. I said I may add to it in the future. This is because it'll probably be my only computer for awhile, and I was just wondering, if the time came, how to do it if need be.

17. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

lol

http://eshop.macsales.com/ go to this website it has installation help, and alot of choices, i bought 2gb for my macbook and it works great and the one i bought came with a lifetime Guarantee, so that pwns.