n00b OSX server question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EvilC5, Oct 15, 2010.

1. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

So I bought a Mini server last week with the main goal of only holding all of my A/V media to stream to apple tv. probably overkill but when I was comparing, the server with more processor more ram, and more HD space seemed more appealing for the price than having to upgrade a regualr mini....until I got home and started setting it up.

so after 1 reload because I probably messed up service permissions, I just went barebones on the 2nd try. I created a user account for itunes and movie transcodes.

so the last few days I have taken a stack of my sons dvd's and started encoding them to ATV format, and noticed yesterday that it seemed really slow so I checked the usage monitor and it said it was at 100 percent CPU for user and 8 percent for system. is a users account provisioned CPU usage to keep the server stable for other users to access resources and if so, how can I reprovision it to give my single account more or even all of the CPU power?

I have googled, mroogled, read thru my server book, and cant seem to find the answer....am I just going to have to live with it or am I missing something?

2. coolbits macrumors member

I think everyone wants 200% or more from their CPU... :D

3. EvilC5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol...I just want to make sure that its getting all the resources it needs to accomplish the task....:D

4. chrfr macrumors 603

That's not normal operation. What actual processes are using up all the CPU time?

5. EvilC5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

handbrake, itunes, and a safari window was all that was running.

6. EvilC5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

could the nice/renice unix command to add priority to handbrake and anything else that im running in an account other than root?

7. EvilC5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Ah OK now I understand. OS X Server does nothing inherently different than "client" OS X with the amount of CPU time available to a user logged in at the desktop. Depending on the tool you're using to view CPU usage, 100% may represent both processors being at maximum use.