n00b question.. Editing like etrade baby or Look Who's Talking?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SSpiro, Nov 4, 2010.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

This might be a huge n00b question, not sure.

I'm familiar with non-linear editing and editing on the Mac, but this is a skill or process I have no exposure to or experience with.

I want to edit a video I shot, similar to the etrade baby commercials. I want to make a baby's mouth move like these commercials, so it looks like the baby is talking.

What is this process called, and what skills and/or software is needed to make it happen?

2. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I did a video like that for my church. I can't find the video link but if I do I'll add it in an edit. Anyways, the most simple way is to video tape the baby, video tape you talking trying to make similar movement likes the baby. If you can have the baby face forward the whole time, perfect. Otherwise cut, if you notice etrade cuts quite a bit to make sure the baby is facing forward. Anyways, track the baby's mouth in AE, then mask your mouth w/ the tracking data and color correct! All done!

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Thank you.. I'll do a dry run and see if I can accomplish the results i'm looking for.

Is this really how the big firms do these commercials and movies though? It looks so smooth, i almost assume its CGI.

4. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Well considering that I used the built in tracking in AE, and there are much better solutions out there, this is more or less how they did it. But yes, there is quite a bit of cgi involved.

5. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

This app is PC only, so you'd have to use Boot Camp, but it makes doing what you want much, much easier. I used to use version 4.5 a few years ago.

http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/