N00b question on Tiger --> Snow Leopard upgrade (and iLife)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by radicaldog, Mar 1, 2010.

1. radicaldog macrumors member

I'm still running 10.4.11 on my late 2007 BlackBook. If I do a clean install using just the cheap Snow Leopard upgrade disk will I have iPhoto etc. or do I need to buy iLife?

Also, could you please recommend an idiot-proof, step-by-step guide to formatting the HD and installing Snow Leopard from scratch with the upgrade disk?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 25€ SL Upgrade DVD does not contain any iLife products, that's what the Mac Box Set at store.apple.com is for.

Idiot proof guides can be found either via that big www search engine or MRoogle, as your questions come up every once in a while and have thus been answered.

3. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but I asked for a recommended idiot-proof guide, not just whatever guide(s) Google throws up -- I did find a few of those, but which one should I trust the most?

As for iLife, well, I'd buy it but I don't want iWork. In fact Picasa is probably all I need for photos, since I don't do video and music stuff anyway. Unless there's some very good reason not to use Picasa I don't know about?

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Picasa is better the iPhoto IMO. It doesn't reorganize your photos, copy them into it's own directory, and picasa searches directory names when you search by keywords.

5. Steve-M macrumors regular

A clean install of Snow Leopard is quite easy R.D. Presuming you have backed up everything you want to keep, documents, music, ect. Insert the upgrade disk into your drive, reboot, hold down the option key at boot time, and select the install disk to boot from. Once your booted, select Disk Utility from the top menu, find your hard drive in Disk Utility, and erase it. Close Disk Utility, continue with the install process, select your hard drive as the install location, sit back and wait for it to finish.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Why NOT to use Picasa :
    In other words, Google can use your images without your permission for ANYTHING, make money off of it, and pay you NOTHING. If you put pictures of your kids up there, they can sell it to advertising and more and there is nothing you can do about it. EVEN if you remove the image, they still have the rights to use it.