iPhone XS Max n00b question / selling old iphone, help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shappp91, Oct 9, 2018.

1. shappp91 macrumors member

shappp91

Receiving my xs max today, and selling my 7 plus, should I remove the sim card from the 7 plus or leave it in there for the buyer? Also, I chose carrier activation at checkout so it should be ready out of the box? It just doesn't make sense for it to be as easy as turning the new one on and handing the old one to someone else.. (of course after erasing all content and settings)

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The second you turn on your new phone the SIM card in your old phone is shut down and can never be used again.

If they are charging you an activation fee, You can avoid by removing the SIM card from your existing phone and putting it in your new one. I am with AT&T and I have always done that. Be careful pulling the SIM out of your new MAX and do not accidentally turn it on until the swap.

3. shappp91 thread starter macrumors member

shappp91

good to know! So, just use the same sim i currently have for the new one then? Activating during checkout doesn't mean to leave the new sim in the new phone? What do I do with the new sim? Put it in the old phone? lol

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

No!
    Sell your old phone without a SIM. That's very common.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

DESTROY the new SIM after your new phone is up and running. If you give it to someone or sell it, when they activate it, your phone will transfer to them!

Sell your old phone with no SIM.

6. shappp91 thread starter macrumors member

shappp91

Update: phone came today and it is activated and being used. HOWEVER, I could not use my previous sim with it because like I had mentioned with carrier activation through apple during checkout, it was already ready to go with the new sim inside of it and was not working properly with my old sim. (Little did I know) so then I disposed my old sim and sold the old phone today. SUCCESS.