N4 reception vs iphone?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by spinedoc77, Dec 23, 2012.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I just had my 2nd iPhone brick on me, I don't think I want to renew my contract for a lackluster iPhone 5 and don't have much faith in apple quality anymore so was considering a nexus 4. The only thing holding me back is that my 4s had incredible reception, and where I live I have almost zero ATT signal. Currently I'm using a Samsung captivate that gets zero signal at my house, where my 4s would just barely get a signal but at least it allowed me to make calls.

Anyone directly compare the signals and how good they could hang on to them, and how good they could make calls with very low signal?

2. BuryMeInSmoke macrumors member

I had the nexus 4 for awhile. Signal strength was excellent. In fact it held a better signal than my 4s. At least where I live. Battery life was awful on the nexus 4, but you didn't ask about that :)

3. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Just wanted to point out that it hasn't even been out for that long. You make it sound as if you've had it for a long period of time lol. However, back to the OP. Coming from a 4S, your APN settings should be good, but I would advise taking your phone into an AT&T store to get this phone set up properly. If you have the wrong APN settings in your phone, you will have signal problems. I purchased an N4 coming from a GS3 because I really wanted the stock Android experience. But being that I have such awesome LTE coverage in my area I just couldn't sacrifice that for HSPA+ If you have a 4S, this would be a stellar upgrade for you.

4. BuryMeInSmoke macrumors member

You make it sound like you need to own a phone for 6 months to have an opinion on it lol.

5. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hmm, I'm wondering if this is the issue. I'm running a Samsung Captivate (rooted and updated to jelly bean 4.2) which actually gets weird reception. It shows 0-1 bars but seems to make calls, what's weird is that today I made 2 very long calls and I didn't drop either of them and during the calls I had like 2-3 bars, but when I hang up I only have 0-1 bars and I don't get incoming calls, they go right to VM. I get bad battery life as well, but I'm sure its because of the low signal.

6. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Not at all, but you made it sound like you've been using the phone forever when it just came out. :p

If the APN settings aren't entered properly your data will be intermittent but everything else will function properly. Meaning you shouldn't lose the ability to make, and receive phone calls. With different APN's applied on my Nexus 4 it performed differently. All in all, it was too much hassle for me trying to get decently fast data, so I switched back to my GS3.

7. BuryMeInSmoke macrumors member

1 month of usage feels like forever when you switch phones as often as I do lol. It's a disease. On to the note 2 now. Sorry if I'm thread jacking OP.