N64 Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by abijnk, Jun 27, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So, I am hopelessly addicted to Super Mario 64, and my lovely fiance just surprised me with an actual N64!!! :D While I've enjoyed playing it on my Macbook(s) in the past, I am looking forward to having the actual controller its supposed to be played with.

Sweet, right? Well, here's my question. I know that I can play it on my little 20 inch tube TV, but what about my 37 inch Samsung LCD??? I can force the aspect ratio accordingly, but I am really not sure how it will look or if it is even worth trying...

Anyone have experience with older consoles on LCDs and want to offer up their advice?

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

We played our N64 and SNES on our LCD TV in my uni house. It was fine. A lot of N64 games offered widescreen resolutions, or you can set the TV to a standard aspect ratio.

The graphics look pretty bad at that size though, so sit far away

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've played goldeneye on a 32' lcd tv. Graphics aren't great at that size, but other than that it wasn't a problem.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

These days I'd just buy it for the Virtual Console (on the Wii) and get an N64 to Wii adapter to use the proper controller. Composite won't look too nice on a non-tube TV.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

errr... yes the $300 solution ;)

I play my N64 sometimes on my 46" 1080p set, and its passable. Nothing amazing but I would force the aspect to 4:3, take the black bars over the stretched out image.

Enjoy M64, still the best 3-D Mario game by far.

6. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I take it you'll be spotting the price difference for you solution? :rolleyes: :p

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You mean there are people out there who don't own Wii's :eek:

;)
    It's pretty awesome that you can play all the 3 3D Mario games on that one system but yea, it'll cost ya!

8. idyll macrumors 6502

9. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

There are N64 to USB dongles you can buy that allow you to use the actual N64 controller with your emulator.

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You can use the Gamecube controller to play N64 games. It takes a few minutes orienting yourself to the new layout (It's a C-stick instead of C-buttons) and the A/B/X/Y setup, but it's not too terrible.