N810 or touch - now I'm not sure

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bodhammer, Jan 15, 2008.

1. bodhammer macrumors member

Long time lurker's first post.

I'm dissapointed in today's actions by Apple.

I was waiting until today to make my decision between these two devices. Price is about the same by the time all is said and done. We already own a 5G, and 3G Nano, and I sold my 3G Color before Christmas in hopes of upgrading.

What I was hoping for was the Newton II - I guess I will wait another year!

32GB would have been nice.

A price drop would have been nice.

Now, I can't even buy one from Amazon in the next few weeks without getting screwed for a double-sawbuck...

I'm seriously considering a Nokia 810 now, no getting ripped on applications and I could even write one myself with the FREE sdk!!!

Steve Jobs - there is a word I'm thinking of - HUBRIS...

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

If you could not decide between the two before today, I'm not sure why Apple charging for the iPhone apps is a negative towards the iPod touch. And either way you can Jailbreak and get them for free.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

We will have another event between now and WWDC Trust me we will probalyl get new macs and ipods then i wouldnt be surprised

4. JAT macrumors 603

So, paying $65 less at Amazon doesn't change your mind about the $20 app charge? You know how to add and subtract, right? Besides, you'll get it credited anyway.

32GB flash is still very expensive, they'd probably be forced to charge $600 for a Touch. A 32GB NAND drive costs about the same as a Touch right now, add that up and the price is still too high. I would love a 32GB model, but it isn't going to be this month.

5. godisjustpreten macrumors member

I was torn between the Touch and the n800. I went with the n800, but returned it because it sucked. The web browsing experience was unacceptable. Playing video involved tons of time converting to the correct resolution, frame rate and format. Battery life was miserable. The screen was bad.

While the n810 contains a few new features, such as GPS (which gets crappy reviews), and the slide-out keyboard, it's basically still the n800.

Anyway, after I returned the n800, I bought the Touch. After many exchanges for screen problems, I now have a good one and I'm so happy I returned the n800.

6. bodhammer thread starter macrumors member

I ordered a 16GB touch yesterday. I'm not sure about the credit part though. We will see if Apple will actually do that. The Amazon page now says "Does not ship with the latest announced new software applications for the Touch. Software upgrades are available via iTunes for $20".