Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
underachieved expectations

So who else wants an iBook Mini, a.k.a. Newton iMate redux?? God no please; if their considering it then you might as well put the iPod on steriods & make it a PPC (MS PocketPC) fighter. Uh Uh not gonna happen. (althought that iMate was cute).

I for one hope that just after 3 months there IS NO PowerBook update; cause if they do it'll be too minimal for anyone waiting, or upgrading to purchase it. Also this makes it harder for me to purchase the existing one at a cheaper price once a REAL replacement comes online. I'd rather wait for a more efficient (more performance, much less heat, less power required) cpu & faster HDD, case design - miss the black cases of old G3 era. What would be cool is a small outer case polycarbonate protected LCD window to display widgets (weather/schedule in agenda view/memo) as a quick look up with minimal buttons to browse the items without having to fully powerup the PowerBook ;) kinda like a flip cellphone, or for the system to periodically power the cpu/ram/wifi/external display just for checking for email headers to notify the user??? Hmmm.

I'm hoping that this is just a software release. No iBook updates before a major PowerBook updates; improve performance of the former before the later then you'll see sales really drop.

Now for this being the year of HD - thats for ultimate pro heads; heck I dont know a thing about HD other than its strange to have 720p/10??i. But I think that the software at this time is more important, high end hardware specific rack equipment will complement existing PowerMacs. Maybe XServes will get an update first??

ShnikeJSB

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2003
Chicago suburbia
So, PowerBooks are going to be passed by iBooks...

Yeah, as you can see, my TiBook 667 is basically falling apart and on its last legs. I was waiting until Tiger was released to buy a new PowerBook, but I really REALLY am hesitating to buy one, as I don't think they are improved enough from my 3-1/2 year oldie but goodie, plus the graphics card kinda sucks. I am THIS close to switching to the dark sidew and buying a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 for about the same amount of money, but with SIGNIFICANTLY better technology. I can get a 2.13GHz P-M, 2GB DDR-2 RAM, 60GB 7200 RPM hd, 256mb GeForce 6800 Go Ultra, etcetra with all the trimmings the way I want it for about $3600, which is basically the cost of the 17" PB with 2GB RAM and such (both education discounts), except the Dell gives a much better warranty. Though it weighs about 2.5 pounds more than the PB, it is STILL VERY light for a Desktop Replacement, which the PowerBook no longer is... So, in other words, WHEN can I expect a WORTHY PB update? I am guessing at the WWDC in June maybe? I don't think i can wait that long, this thing is DYING! Give me hope! Also, won't the iBooks basically be almost as fast as the PowerBooks if they are updated? That would be HORRIBLE marketing, so they GOTTA be updated soon... -JB

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I don't doubt Apple will release new versions of their pro software. However, I doubt we'll see new hardware tonight. We know that new PMs, iMacs, iBooks and perhaps eMacs (if Apple doesn't drop them yet) are overdue. As for the iBooks and eMacs they will be released in the same week as Tiger, (i.e. between April 25 and 28) and will be available immediately. Yes, it possible you might get Tiger early if you buy a new iBook or eMac. (The same happend in October 2003 when the first revision of G4 iBooks was released two days before Panther started to ship.) Since the iMacs is also considered to be a consumer machine, the new revision might debut alongside iBooks and eMacs. Although, they might not be available immediately, depending on specs. It's also possible they will be announced as early as next week. As for the PM I don't think they will be announced at NAB for two reasons. If the new revision is only a speed bump (i.e. still using single core CPUs), there will be announced silently. ONTH, if they were to use dual core processors, Apple for sure would announce them with great ceremony probably during a special press event or more likely at WWDC (which is only 1 1/2 months away). Also Steve Jobs would announce them, so any indication that Mr Jobs will be in Las Vegas and is the general tech press invited, too? If not, there is no chance we'll see new PMs tonight. Like I said, I expect new PMs at WWDC. After all, they have to show off something new during the keynote. We know that WWDC will be about Tiger mostly. But when WWDC kicks off, Tiger will have been out for more than a month already. So what are they going to announce at WWDC? Nothing for a change? I don't think so.

EDIT: I just forgot about the so called "PB HD". If it's real, it might be announced today as it's only a slightly improved 17" PB with HD resolution. Since the event will be about HD, it would make sense to announce there. Just a thought, what about an iMac HD? (I know, it's not happening but it wouldn't be a bad idea)

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
lewdvig said:
If the G5 puts out 100 watts at 2.5 I doubt it would be more than 50 watts at 1.6 - and that doesn't factor powersaving (clock throttling tech). I am sure they can get it down to 25-30 watts. Strange.
Well, I'd be very interested to see how you came up with those numbers, but consider that the 15" PowerBook battery contains 45 watt-hours of energy. Your super low power consumption CPU, throttled back for even lower power consumption, would drain it in 1.5 to 1.8 hours. That's not including the display lamp, the hard drive, the blowers, the RAM refresh, the optical drive, ...

Not happening.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
so all pro apps will get the tiger update. Nice, I just hope that the old apps will even still run on tiger... :rolleyes:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
stukdog said:
I live here in Las Vegas and would be happy to go and take as many pictures of it all if someone wants to foot the bill for me.
I registered for an exhibition hall pass for free through JVC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly to Las Vegas due to other commitments, but you might be able to register with JVC or another exhibitor for free.

zimtheinvader said:
I'm also curious why PM's need to be updated prior to actual release/adoption of FCP5, I use FCP4/HD on a RevA 2.0 and can't quite see how performance could be better without faster hdd implementation or some major new revision (would having extra cpus have any significant impact on render times? Boris seems about as sluggish on the G5 as G4, and DDR2 apparently offers little to no real-world speed increase...) Maybe a new video-card spec would give them a boost though!
When you work with HD material as I do, you can see plenty of room for improvement, where it's all CPU (and not hard drive) that's holding back speed. Yes, extra CPUs would have a significant impact on render times.

zimtheinvader said:
Or maybe some sort of real-time dv live-stream editor?...
That would be nice . . . I'm hoping for (short of that) a multi-cam interface. Word is that Grass Valley is going to use FCP as its front end. Pretty neat, eh?

iGuy said:
The current 17 inch PB is 1440 x 900. It needs at least 1080 lines of vertical resolution to be suitable for HD, the real spec anyway (yes, I know about 720p, but for me this is what I call 'prentend HD').

So a PowerBook HD with a new display capable of 1080 lines would be very much at home at an event like NAB.
To each his own, but it's wrong to claim that 1080 is "the real spec" and to call 720p "pretend." I mean it's fine to have an opinion and state your preference but it's not right to denigrate the alternative. Some people prefer (or don't mind) interlace artifacts, while others prefer progressive. 1080i is pretty close to 720p with regard to pixel throughput (there's a 12.5% advantage to 1080i, which in my opinion is evened out by 1080i's interlace artifacts), and today the comparison is between 1080i and 720p.

1080p would be better than 720p but at the moment there is no sub-$100,000 camera gear that records 1080p. There may be a less costly 1080p camera unveiled at NAB, so we'll see.

Avicdar said:
Any idea how Apple is going to handle the whole issue of QTPro keys when people start installing Tiger, only to realize that their QTPro 6.5 will be gone, only to be replaced by a QT7 'regular'? Thats what I expect will happen to me when I install Tiger. Guess I will need a separate drive with a Panther image kickin around.

Or maybe they will pass out free QTPro 7.0 keys if you provide a valid FCP4.5 serial number and a proof of purchase of TIger. Hmm. Wishful thinking.
Nice post - I'm with you on everything. As for the QT7 question I suppose we'll all have to either upgrade to FCP 5 and get a QT7 key with that or come up with $29.99 if we're going to stick with FCP 4.5. It'd be worth it for me to pay the $29.99 now because of H.264 exporting, even though I'll likely upgrade to FCP 5 by this Fall.

Prom1 said:
Now for this being the year of HD - thats for ultimate pro heads; heck I dont know a thing about HD other than its strange to have 720p/10??i.
iMovie HD puts high definition content creation in the hands of regular folks (it's not just for "ultimate pro heads.") It's pretty amazing. The Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) has a lot of people (myself included) wanting something better for FCP 5. I'm hoping for an on the fly transcode to DVCProHD in FCP (iMovie HD does an on the fly transcode to AIC). Of course that would be with recognition of timecode and an easier to use Media Manager (although I don't have much trouble with the MM, it's not the easiest thing to use). As for the 720p / 1080i confusion, I suggest you watch 720p material on a 720p native TV and 1080i material on a 1080i native TV. I bet you'll like what you see in both cases. However, 1080i material on 720p native TVs may look better than 720p material on 1080i native TVs.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Rod Rod said:
I registered for an exhibition hall pass for free through JVC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly to Las Vegas due to other commitments, but you might be able to register with JVC or another exhibitor for free.

When you work with HD material as I do, you can see plenty of room for improvement, where it's all CPU (and not hard drive) that's holding back speed. Yes, extra CPUs would have a significant impact on render times.

That would be nice . . . I'm hoping for (short of that) a multi-cam interface. Word is that Grass Valley is going to use FCP as its front end. Pretty neat, eh?

To each his own, but it's wrong to claim that 1080 is "the real spec" and to call 720p "pretend." I mean it's fine to have an opinion and state your preference but it's not right to denigrate the alternative. Some people prefer (or don't mind) interlace artifacts, while others prefer progressive. 1080i is pretty close to 720p with regard to pixel throughput (there's a 12.5% advantage to 1080i, which in my opinion is evened out by 1080i's interlace artifacts), and today the comparison is between 1080i and 720p.

1080p would be better than 720p but at the moment there is no sub-$100,000 camera gear that records 1080p. There may be a less costly 1080p camera unveiled at NAB, so we'll see.

Nice post - I'm with you on everything. As for the QT7 question I suppose we'll all have to either upgrade to FCP 5 and get a QT7 key with that or come up with $29.99 if we're going to stick with FCP 4.5. It'd be worth it for me to pay the $29.99 now because of H.264 exporting, even though I'll likely upgrade to FCP 5 by this Fall.

iMovie HD puts high definition content creation in the hands of regular folks (it's not just for "ultimate pro heads.") It's pretty amazing. The Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) has a lot of people (myself included) wanting something better for FCP 5. I'm hoping for an on the fly transcode to DVCProHD in FCP (iMovie HD does an on the fly transcode to AIC). Of course that would be with recognition of timecode and an easier to use Media Manager (although I don't have much trouble with the MM, it's not the easiest thing to use). As for the 720p / 1080i confusion, I suggest you watch 720p material on a 720p native TV and 1080i material on a 1080i native TV. I bet you'll like what you see in both cases. However, 1080i material on 720p native TVs may look better than 720p material on 1080i native TVs.

1. A live-stream DV editor feature would be a very nice idea too
2.I also completely agree with you-maybe you'll have to get a new key for QT7 Pro.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Zaty said:
EDIT: I just forgot about the so called "PB HD". If it's real, it might be announced today as it's only a slightly improved 17" PB with HD resolution. Since the event will be about HD, it would make sense to announce there. Just a thought, what about an iMac HD? (I know, it's not happening but it wouldn't be a bad idea)

That or a 23" iMac ;)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Mini portable?!?!?!

Prom1 said:
So who else wants an iBook Mini, a.k.a. Newton iMate redux?? God no please; if their considering it then you might as well put the iPod on steriods & make it a PPC (MS PocketPC) fighter. Uh Uh not gonna happen. (althought that iMate was cute).
HERE, HERE!!!!!!! A mini iBook type computer seems like a terrible idea to me. It would be slow and annoying to type on, since the keyboard would have to be much smaller. Besides the ergonomics, Apple would be MURDERED by other smaller type portables, and it would be seen as yet another failed endeavor. Just because something becomes small, doesn't mean it will be good and will sell (cough CUBE cough).

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
mad jew said:
:( That's a bit past my bedtime.

I know, why do the americans always have to make everything so difficult.
4am is too late to stay up to and far to early to wake up for. It's such an awkward time. Anywayz i will wake up at 10 and see what, if anything has happened to the much deprived Power line.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
JRM PowerPod said:
I know, why do the americans always have to make everything so difficult.
4am is too late to stay up to and far to early to wake up for. It's such an awkward time. Anywayz i will wake up at 10 and see what, if anything has happened to the much deprived Power line.
Ok, one press conference and you're complaining about awkward timings . . . remember the Sydney Olypmics? Those weren't exactly easy to watch live over here. :)

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
The Order Status on the Norwegian Apple Store is down:

"Apple's Online and phone Order Status services are temporarily unavailable due to a scheduled upgrade to our systems."

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Rod Rod said:
Ok, one press conference and you're complaining about awkward timings . . . remember the Sydney Olypmics? Those weren't exactly easy to watch live over here. :)

I guess it works both ways. Though NAB is far more important than the Olympics
:D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
OK, no doubt the stores'll be down if something's announced but has anyone ever wondered what happens if you're already in the store when it falls? What happens if you're halfway through purchasing that new Xserve rack? Do you reckon Apple would allow for people to finalise their purchases? My guess is no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.