Naked iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HazChem, Mar 16, 2011.

1. HazChem macrumors regular

Just wondering how many of you went this past year with your iPad 1 naked?

My iPad 1 has been in either the Apple case at home or a Dodo Case when I travelled.

Now that I've gone ahead and gotten a white iPad 2, I am thinking about just using it naked. I do like the design and it feels good holding it naked. When I travel, I'm thinking of having it in a sleeve for protection.

I've pondered putting some kind of skin on the back for protection but, honestly, I don't like the rubbery feel of the BSE or SGP skins. I have it on my iPhone and haven't been entirely happy with it...

I am considering a black or white carbon fiber, but not sure of that either just because I like the aluminum look and feel of the case itself.

I really would like to hear from you that have had your iPad naked and how it has held up to regular use.

2. Dknelson728 macrumors member

While I do love the sleek, sexy look of naked Apple products in general, I just can't justify spending $500+ on a device, and giving it no form of protection whatsoever.

3. aperry macrumors 6502a

It'll get scratched. My iPad 1 ended up with two very tiny scratched on the display and several light scratches on the back. It probably cost me at least $50 in resale value. But if you can live with that then go for it. My iPad 2 is pretty much naked so far!

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Over the last year my iPads (1 WiFi-only, 1 3G) both went naked at home, and then had something for protection when going out: the Apple case or another case of some sort. The new iPad 2 has been wearing the iPad 2 Smart Cover at home as well as out-and-about because it's handy to quickly put on and take off, and also she has gone naked some of the time as well.

5. HazChem thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that I'll have the front protected. I'm waiting for Power Support to start shipping their Crystal Screen.

I didn't' sell my first iPad and not sure I'll sell this one when it comes time to upgrade although that may not be until iPad 4 is out... :)

I can live with a few minor scratches.

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The way I look at it, Apple designers went to a lot of trouble to design a device which not only performs beautifully but looks sleek and elegant while doing so and which feels good in the hand. Why cover all of that up? I love the way the iPad looks and feels naked -- of course I am going to use her that way!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh but you spend more than $50 on accessories and cases for it.

9. joltaxt macrumors regular

im gonna use my ipad with a BSE naked. i got it friday and it already has a tiny scratch on it. adult owned and if youre going to put zero protection on it, keep it inside the house and dont let anyone else touch it or i guarantee it will get scratched.

10. iPhisch macrumors 6502

11. HazChem thread starter macrumors regular

@Clix Pix - I'm with you on the elegance of it. It looks and feels great on it's own.

@vincenz - Ha, great point!

@joltaxt - That's a shame that it already has a scratch. I'm very careful with it but it will be leaving the house with me starting Sunday.

I wish there was a skin that was matte instead of glossy like the BSE skins.

12. Annerz macrumors regular

The iPad is way too expensive to not keep in a case even if you are really careful with it. It's better to be safe!

13. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Naked + sleeve when not in use.

Otherwise what is the point of all the nice design Apple does? They make such fantastic looking gear, what is the point in covering it up in a way where you never see it?

The Smart Cover is a good attempt to try to not cover stuff and also be sorta protective at the same time, but it comes off as too much of a gimmick.

Get Square Trade if you are really worried about falls or spills, and just enjoy your iPad the way it was intended.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

iPad 2 + red leather smart cover = happiness! :)

I've probably use it naked sometimes at home but the new smart cover meets my need so well and is so easy to take on and off, it will be my standard configuration.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Naked iPad 1 24/7, no scratches or dents on the outside

as for the screen.....havent even checked haha. Its weird how OCD I am with my 4, but not the iPad???? lol.

iPad 2 will go naked with nothing on it.....don't need no stupid cover. haha

16. Maaz macrumors 6502a

17. sportster macrumors 6502

My iPad 1 got 2 little scratches on the screen. We are even extra careful with it. None of my iPhone ever got scratched on the screen so I figured the iPads glass would be just as strong/durable. But, it was not. The iPad has since been covered with a SGP whole body kit.