All iPads Naked iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bacong, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

who here is using their iPad naked? it works for me with the mini but I'm interested in how the hand feel is for the Air.

These bezels are small!

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I have a smart cover on mine but that's it. I carry it around in a pouch in my backpack daily and use it quite a bit, and it has held up nicely.

3. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I usually only use a Smart Cover but have been using my Targus case a lot lately, like the more stable stand it has.

4. iKnackwurst macrumors member

I use my iPad with the smart cover only since day 1 and use a pouch to carry it around. The front has 0 visible scratches and on the back is 1. Pretty sturdy device.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the mini i have naked with a smart cover i can take off and a full clear skin for protection... :rolleyes:

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

I tried handling my iPad without the case and they just feel too slippery. The Mini I recently purchased almost fell out of my hands without a case. :eek:

For me, using a case is the way to go.

7. SixSlinger macrumors regular

SixSlinger

I have a Smart Cover and Smart Case (along with a drawer full of other various sleeves/cases/covers). When I travel (i.e. fly), I use the Smart Case but otherwise just a Smart Cover.

After getting used to a "naked" iPad (or iPhone IMO), it's tough to put a case on for me.

Both my 5s and Retina mini have held up great without cases. I take care of them though, so YMMV.

8. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

I use my iPad 4 without its case here at home, but when I leave the house with it I put its case on.

Feels great to use a naked iPad, it feels so sleek, and the iPad 4 is built like a tank so I feel confident when I use it like this. :)

9. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Back when I had an original iPad and then an iPad 2, I used big thick cases (a Dodocase specifically). When I upgraded to the iPad 3 I switched over to just a Smart Cover and an Incipio Feather and I haven't been able to go back to anything thicker.

I have an iPad Air and a Retina iPad mini now, and I've dropped back covers entirely. I use both of them naked most of the time... but I do have Smart Covers for travel. The thinner ones actually feel easier to grip since they're so light and I've never had any kind of accident.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

I put full-body Ghost Armor on mine to protect at home. I feel ok laying it down on anything, not going berserk when the cat walks on it, etc. But when I travel I put it in a case that has a stand. Much nicer for watching movies on the plane (I take some really long flights).

I really enjoy the lightness of it without the case. And not worrying about scratching it up while caseless is a 'must' for me since I'm not really careful around the house. This is my fourth iPad using this method and each one I've passed down to family members has looked pristine. As for dings, haven't had that issue. I am a bit more careful than that. But if it happens, so be it.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple SmartCover with cheap sleeve it works well for me but I rather have a back case to prevent any dents. :apple:

12. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I use my lifeproof case if I'm hiking or camping but at home I just use it naked.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

My rMini is always naked. I do however have a Skinomi TechSkin on the back. It is protective and has a great feel.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

I use a Folio case. Not necessarily for protection but because I mostly use my iPad in an upright position.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Same here. The aluminum back feels too slippery. I had my Mini in a TPU case, and I now have the Air in an Apple smart case.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the iPad Air and when not hooked to the Logitech Ultra Slim Keyboard, I use it with just a white carbon fiber type skin on the back. Once in a great while, I'll put the Apple front cover on it but most of the time either on the keyboard or just with the skin. I find the plain metal a little too slippery for me. The skin doesn't really offer much protection other then against scratches but gives a much better grip in my opinion.

17. threelions macrumors regular

I tend to use sleeves, gives protection when I carry them around but allows me to use the Ipad naked when I'm doing something with it.

18. rsquirrel macrumors member

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have my iPad Air in a Smart Case as often it's in a backpack and I don't want it getting damaged, but my iPad 2 was used naked apart from a Smart Cover for 3 years and there's still no a scratch on it.

I find Smart Covers or cases are invaluable to how I use an iPad, though. They'd instantly become a lot less useful without the stand to prop it up, and the wake from sleep upon open.

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Ipad4 in a ZaggKeys Pro, excellent backlit keyboard, the back of the Zagg matches silver back of iPad, and closes with magnets, so very good protection for screen when closed. Smart Cover when not using the keyboard.

iPad Air, just Smart Cover.

Both have HD screen protectors.

I don't really care if the backs get scratches, I won't be selling them. but I do care about the screens being perfect. While I am careful and the smart covers are protection enough in most ways, I clean the screens every day, and also use stylus, so the screen protectors are mostly for that.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have a very thin case on my iPad so I can put it down and nothing will get scratched on the front or back. And it's protective. My dad dropped it twice real bad.

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have a screen protector and an iCarbon skin on the back of my rMini. I drop it in a sleeve in my bag when commuting, but otherwise I use it in skins, which is naked in my opinion. I've tried various covers and cases and just prefer its natural form.

23. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use a Smart Cover purchased from Amazon in my iPad Air.

25. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I carry my iPad mini everywhere (work outside), and i've dropped it multiple times. 2 times my screen was shattered(Gets expensive). Now I use one of the speck candy shell cases which has done a tremendous job of protecting my iPad. Th last time my iPad flew out of my hands the case did break and needed to be replaced, but nothing happened to my iPad.