Naked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by i0Nic, Sep 23, 2007.

?

What condition is your iPhone in?

1. I don't use any protection, and it looks pretty much new

76 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. I don't use any protection, and it's become scratched

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I use a film/case and it's perfect so I will continue to use protection

100 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. I use a film/case but I don't think it's necessary

19 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, looking to get an iPhone but don't want to use a case or any protective film. Who here has had an iPhone for at least 2 months and been using it in the nude the whole time? Do you have any scratches or marks?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have no protection on my iPhone, I have had it since launch day and it is always in my pocket. I have also dropped it several times (though never on anything hard and jagged like gravel). It is almost completely scratch-free.

3. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

mine has been naked since day 1. No scratches on the screen, only on the chrome bezel, and I've had it in my pocket with change and sometimes my keys on a fairly regular basis.

I've only dropped it once and it was on carpet.

4. klimegreen macrumors newbie

in the nude

I have been using my iPhone for three months "in the nude". If I hadn't dropped it from my car seat to the driveway, it wouldn't have a single scratch (luckily it just put a small ding on the back corner). Here's my thoughts on this:
    1. moving it in and out of your pocket will not cause a single scratch, though I'd avoid contact with keys or coins.
    2. use a case when it might be put in a position that could cause it to fall to the ground: i use a case (forgot the name) with an arm band for the fitness center.

I worry about it a lot, I would hate to have a scratch on the front, buts it pretty durable san a drop.

5. Raska macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone for about 2 weeks now, has no cover or protection on it.. It has only been dropped once, it fell off my window sill onto hard tile floor, but came out unscathed. I almost had a heart attack as I saw it falling and hit, but luckily it was, and still is, unharmed.

6. mani macrumors member

No scratches here. Finally Apple got the enclosure design right, which is one reason I bought the iPhone rather than the touch.

7. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

The back got a scratch on it and a little ding from being dropped, and the case I had put a little dent on the backside. Oh well :D My iPhone's got character! Haha.

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i used to be naked, case, naked case, but now that i got the sena dockable, that thing never comes off, although i dont really think its needed.

9. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

My iPhone had been naked since 6/29... that is until the accident happened. It was in perfect condition, no scratches, no scuffs. Then my wife accidently knocked it out of my hand this past Tuesday as she turned to tell me something and smacked her hand into mine. It hit the concrete, bounced over a curb and landed in the street. The corner nearest the camera is now scratched, the chrome bezel in the same location is gashed and dented in... and there is a nasty looking scratch on the black plastic on the back of the phone.

It still works just fine, though cosmetically the scratches bother me to no end. So I'm in search of a quality case that will cover those areas.

:(

Update (10/4): I went ahead and picked up the Agent 18 Eco Case for the iPhone and I love it. It's a great product and while it adds a little bulk to the device it isn't that bad. I'd recommend this case for anyone looking for a quality case to protect their iPhone.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've had mine since launch, and i just got protection. if i were buying one today, i'd get protection

11. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Nude iPhone

Rarely do the Apple Gods grant a fresh start with a shiny new product. I had that chance. I got my iPhone on launch day and went sans case for about a month until my vibrate motor randomly crapped out and Apple kindly gave me a new one. In my time with the unprotected iPhone I was constantly concerned about it falling out of my hand or getting knocked onto the sidewalk (though in all fairness I'm not the most coordinated person ever). My first phone was dropped twice onto concrete. The small scratches on the case made me angry at myself every time I looked at them. My replacement phone has been in a case since the moment it came out of the box. The case not only protects the phone but it gives me one less thing to worry about, my iPhone getting damaged. I admit that the case can take away from the beauty of the design but the piece of mind a case brings is well worth putting on a jacket or other protection.

Bottom line: You could go sans case, just be prepared to have an iPhone that shows a few scars.

12. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Naked. I purchaed mine a little over a week ago. I just couldn't find a case that didn't add bulk to the iPhone.

13. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

Mine has a screen film, and up until this week I carried it naked, but with great fear. When I came across an old iPod nano sock, I put it in there. It doesn't give it total coverage (just a bit too short), but it keeps it much safer in my pocket or sitting on my desk. Would love to find a real case, but so far, meh.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i use a screen film. most of the time, i don't even notice it's there.

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I don't use a case and the only scratches I had after 3 months were small unnoticeable ones on the chrome. I just recently received a new one due to dead pixels and I don't plan on using a case for it either.

16. 3282872 macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPhone since 6/29, and sadly I'm like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman", they're "slipper little suckers" lol. I've dropped my endless times, from pavement to hardwood, and while the back isn't badly scratched, the corners are dented and banged up to no end. I had the rubber back (Encase I believe?), but hated that it was difficult in taking in and out of pockets, especially at the gym, and it added more weight and bulk. I've always used the screen film since day one, didn't want to take any chances. However, I just got a Vaja case, so no more risks, and it covers up the damage perfectly :eek: .

17. missygal Guest

missygal

I use a screen protector and a case! I'm too scared to not lol!

18. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Taken my case off and naked for 2 weeks. But two 3cm scratches on the back, not a big deal

19. revenent33 macrumors newbie

I use wrapsol full body.....so i guess it can also be considered naked since it isn't in any case ya....

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I find protection very important. I am a klutz like hell when it comes to phones

21. chanerz macrumors 6502a

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I gotta cheapo screen protector and a bumper. Like new.

23. mytran80 macrumors regular

Had the bodyguardz skin on for the first 2 weeks , then almost had the phone slip off my hand one time , my life flash before my eyes I was in total frozen mode , so I went out and got me a case , now with no fear and feeling indestructible , I am continuing to collect cases now lol