Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your 2013 11'Air able to pass the naked thigh burn test?

• No, it starts warming up quickly with Netflix and i can't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnjey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Does your 2013 i5 or i7: with 4 or 8GB RAM and 128 or 512 SSD heat up while very normal use (refers to safari/mozilla/chrome open, skype call, total finder on) and nothing else in the background:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does your 2013 i5 or i7: with 4 or 8GB RAM and 128 or 512 SSD heat up while very normal use (refers to safari/mozilla/chrome open, skype call, total finder on) and nothing else in the background:
Having a browser and Skype call running can easily be enough to cause temps to rise significantly. That's normal. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I've got a 13, so I didn't answer the poll. It never gets close to burning, but it will get to slightly uncomfortable under heavy use.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
my 13 runs cooler than my ipad 3rd gen does. The ipad 3rd gen gets super hot when watching a long movie, the air does not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.