Naked? Or screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajohnson253, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Do you prefer your iPhone with a screen protector or without?

I enjoy the feel of mine without the protector just str8 glass. Not a scratch yet.

Do you feel the iPhone really needs a screen protector?

2. joshuaaaron macrumors member

if i dont have a screen protector on my OCD screams in my head until all the finger prints are gone. so i have to have one:| its for aesthetic not protection. plus its easier to finger(keep your minds out of the gutter!) the screen with the anti-glare protector

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

With the screen protector is best. I was out in the wilds with my first gen iPhone and the back didn't get too bad but the screen got hacked up. I can only say protect your screen the options available work very well.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. ~Phi macrumors regular

I don't use a screen protector either. I tried the anti-glare one and pretty much hated how it made the screen look.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Crystal film on the front and naked on the back.

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I use protection on the back and nothing on the front....I want to be able to communicate fully with my iPhone and my fingertips, just as Apple originally conceived!

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't have the iPhone, but just the iPod touch. Same stuff really, just no phone and all that. I use it totally naked, the back is worth protecting, but the front is totally impervious to scratches. Dropped it twice and both times landed face down on the floor. No scratches, just dust/dirt.

9. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Invisible shield by far.

Lifetime warranty, nuff' said.

10. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I have a crystal screen protector on the front just to satisfy my OCD.

I scratched my first gen iPhone (very small by the home button) somehow, so I thought I'd put something on my 3G.

My wife also has a screen protector on her phone so her earrings don't scratch the glass.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Of course. I have the anti-glare on my iPhone.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

For the longest time, I was an advocate of naked. I hate cases that add bulk and I tried invisible shield and hated it, due to it's plastic, sticky feel and the rainbow effect it gave the screen. However, I recently decided to try the Power Support Crystal screen protector, which is available in apple stores for 14.99. I regret not trying this product sooner. If you like the glass, glossy look of the naked screen, you'll love the way it looks with the Crystal screen protector. If you want a matte finish, they've got the anti-glare protector too, for the same price. I like the glossy though, so I went with Crystal.

And I only use a case when I'm bike riding or jogging. I got an Incase Slider for that.

13. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I use a anti-glare since I'm a bit ocd about finger prints... as for the phone.. i'm a bit of a case-aholic.. I use a combo of 3 cases....

1. Seidio Innocase II surface in black for going out everyday stuff... going to work etc...

2. Switcheasy Colors Silicon case for lounging around...

3. Otterbox Defender Case for when I'm working outside/on my car/going to a wreckers etc...

as for my iPhone 3G it is still mint! not a single scratch on the back or screen.. .a couple small marks on the chrome but very very minor...

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Since July 11th Ive had my phone covered in different kinds of shields the moment immediately after buying it.

I have tried several several shields

But ultimately decided on a bodyguardz front and Invisible shield rear.

I was wondering what it would be like to have an "Naked iPhone" so I gave it a try. I removed my shield and the phone was 100% Scratch free.

Its only been 1-2 weeks and my iPhone now looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front scratch happened because I had my keys in the same pocket as my iPHone. When i had my shield applied, I never really had to worry about this, but now everytime i put my phone in my pocket I have to make sure my keys or any other hard metal are not in the same pocket.

The back looks pretty scratched up, but I really dont care because its the rear, but I really miss having the grippyness the shields use to give me

The only advice I can give you guys is

DON'T CARRY A NAKED IPHONE

I miss not having to worry about what was in my pocket, and i miss the grip that the shields use to give me.

I recently reapplied the bodyguardz but I am still waiting on my replacement IS

15. Chaz668 macrumors newbie

I haven't had my iPhone very long (new here too) and don't use a screen protector. Would I need one if I carry my phone in the front pocket of my jeans, by it self?

16. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I have an iPod Touch and I don't use a skin. I want to use it, not keep it spanking new. Just like I want to ride my bike and get it dirty :)

17. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i always put my phone in my holster. never in my pocket. and i never lay it down on a table without something underneath. even if its just a piece of paper. oh and i have a ps crystal on the front since the week after. nothing on the back. the back is almost flawless since july 11th. just a few scratches. barely anything.

19. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I have a Bodyguard on the screen and the incase slider. I had a BG all over with no case but while my buddy and I were at the fire station he dropped his phone from the sitting position (about 2 feet) onto the tile and his screen shattered. It was then I knew as much as I hate cases I needed one because it didnt even drop hard and his screen shattered.

20. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Used to be a hater, but I am now a believer

I never saw a point to screen protectors. Especially since the iPhone has a glass screen that can only be scratched by really hard things like diamonds.

That being said, my brother brought over his iPhone and was sporting a hard slider case and a matte finish screen protector and man it looked good. I went out and got the Incase black slider and a pack of those matte finish screen protectors in the green pack from the Apple Store. After getting everything cleaned and applying it, it looks perfect. The screen now looks a whole lot better without all of the finger prints, and the matte finish feels awesome. I wont use the iPhone now without this screen protector anymore. Not because I wont scratch the screen now, but because fingerprints no longer show up so easily.

IMO, on the new iPhone version, Apple should ship it with this rubberized finish plastic and a matte screen finish.

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

This is exactly why I miss having my bodyguardz shield. I didn't really have to worry about where i put it, on what surfaces, what i wiped it with , etc. I could pretty much toss it in my pocket, slide it accross the table, etc and know that it was being protected. When I removed the shield, the phone was still 100% scracth free.

Um did you see my picture, I wasn't carrying diamonds, those were keys that scratched my screen.

People think that something needs to be harder in order to scracth something, this isn't true. something that is 99% as hard as a diamond can scracth a diamond, it will just get more damaged in the process

Glass has a hardness of about 6-7, but there are a lot of materials that can scracth that, quartz, hardened steel, iron pyrite, etc etc

Diamonds are the hardest substance on earth-- measuring 10 out of a possible 10 on the Mohs hardness scale. In fact, diamond are four times harder than its nearest competitor, which is corundum (sapphire and ruby are both corundums). This is why they are practically scratch-proof

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I did try a screen protector once, but once that got easily scuffed up, i had to get rid of it.
    Been naked all the time really. Sure, the back is dinged up, but the screen is flawless, and that's all that counts for me.

23. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I have a "sleeve" case but put no screen protectors on it. No scratches and looks great still!

24. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I used to have a screen protector but I later took it off after the back of my phone got damaged.