Naked, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JCL, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JCL macrumors member

I went case crazy on my iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4.
    On iPhone 4S I went naked for a while, then got a ZAGG HD.

So far I have never scratched or damaged any of my iPhones and have been able to resell them in perfect condition.

Should I go naked for the 5?

2. iB4STiD macrumors newbie

I like nakkid myself... wait we talking case vs no case?... woops ignore this then ;)

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Go for it!
    To hide such beautiful design, whether it's the Air or the iPhone is criminal in my book.:)

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Your data basically states that the protection bought for previous phones worked, right? ;)

On a more serious note - If reselling the 5 in perfect condition is very important to you, go for a case, it won't hurt. If the condition is just a bonus, go for the option that feels right to carry and use. Some people prefer holding the naked phone, some people a case.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

have you considered Griffin Reveal Case? it's a hard case.
    [​IMG]
    it's clear at the back.
    for me, it's the best compromise.

6. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

Clear cases like that seem like they really scuff up quickly.

7. wolve macrumors regular

Since early reports already say it scratches like crazy (iFixit video), better get a case. I'm trying to choose a case myself... so many already out or coming soon.

8. EdwardSung macrumors regular

I'm torn, I love the looks of this thing, and I don't want to cover it up just so I can get a few extra bucks of resale value in a couple of years. What's the point of preserving the looks of your phone if you never even see those looks because they're covered up in plastic? So initially I thought, screw it, I'm gonna go buck naked!

But then again:

-- I actually did smash the hell out of my 3GS by dropping it off my desk onto a brick floor, something that wouldn't have happened if it had had the case I later bought for my replacement iPhone 4;

-- I do use the phone in situations where a fairly grippy case has come in handy, like in the kitchen or in the car, where I want to set it down so that it doesn't slide around;

-- as great as the phone looks/feels, I don't know if I'll ever get to a point where I'm not reflexively handling it gingerly and worrying about dropping it and cracking the screen.

So, I guess ultimately I've talked myself back into getting a screen!

9. Max Archer macrumors member

After finding out that the iP4 I bought for $200 at launch can be sold to Gazelle for $160 or so, I'm definitely going to keep using cases. The phone is nice "naked", but it's also quite nice with a good case on it, and I find that the hard edges aren't very comfortable to hold. The phone's just as functional with a case on it, and with the chipping/scuffing issues, I'd rather make sure it'll be worth a decent amount in a couple more years.

10. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Semi-Naked, Screen Protector has to be on!

[​IMG]
    SGP by Holmes093, on Flickr

11. abtm macrumors member

I've never used a case on an iPhone. The sleek design is part of why the phone is so awesome to cover it up would be like putting a bumper around the Mona Lisa.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. Decide based on your preferences as with any other subjective matter. This debate has been endlessly rehashed in prior threads and it really doesn't matter which iPhone or even which smartphone you're talking about. There's no one-size-fits-all answer as different people have different reasons for going one way or the other.

If you really can't decide even after looking over the opinions in all the existing threads on the topic then flip a coin and try and see how it works out for you. Polling is never the way to determine your preference on any topic.