Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I changed the name of an image in iPhoto, and now I can see the image in the library, but can't open or import it. I know the original name, and tried to change it back, but it didn't help.

Any ideas? :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What do you mean you can't open or import it? Do you mean you changed the name from within Finder rather than iPhoto? Sorry Ms annk, I'm not quite sure what you mean. :eek:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
iPhoto doesn't track files by their name alone. I learnt this when I first got it to see how it controlled the files. I tried moving it out, an dback in, but it no longer recognised it.

I think you r best bet is to make a copy somewhere, delete the iPhoto version and reimport the copy.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
What do you mean you can't open or import it? Do you mean you changed the name from within Finder rather than iPhoto? Sorry Ms annk, I'm not quite sure what you mean. :eek:

To be honest, the name change happened so long ago, that I can't be certain where I changed it. But I'm fairly certain I changed it in the info window for the specific image, in iPhoto.

When I now open iPhoto and find the image in my library, I see both the image and the new name I gave it. I first tried to export it to a folder on my desktop, but when I went to open it there, the file had 0 kb. I then tried to open it in iPhoto, both by double clicking, and by highlighting and and clicking on "edit", but nothing happened. I looked for the image in Finder, in its original form, but whereas all the other images have tiny thumnails there, this one only had a general jpg icon, and I couldn't open it from there, either (although I did see what the original file name had been).

I then tried to change the name back to the original, thinking this would let iPhoto "remember" and allow me to open it - no dice. :(

iPhoto doesn't track files by their name alone. I learnt this when I first got it to see how it controlled the files. I tried moving it out, an dback in, but it no longer recognised it.

I think you r best bet is to make a copy somewhere, delete the iPhoto version and reimport the copy.

I've also tried copying and pasting, but the paste function won't work. I've tried duplicating, but all I get is another version that can't be opened.

It's a nice shot that I'd like to keep, so I'd like to rescue it. I'd also like to know how to rename a photo in iPhoto without risking something like this happening.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It sounds like you changed it through Finder rather than iPhoto. I'm always changing the title of photos and have never run into problems. You can change the title in the little information box in the bottom left corner. This will leave the actual file name alone though.

It's a bit obscure, but if you can see your image then maybe try printing it and saving it to PDF. It's out there, but might be worth a try. I can't think why your file has gone missing though... This is strange. Sorry for not being able to help more. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.