Name displayed in App Store reviews

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iambasil, Oct 10, 2010.

1. iambasil macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Has anyone noticed Apple have been fiddling about with the name that is displayed when you review an app in the app store?

Previously I could never find a way to change the name it showed (I made a typo when entering the name I was using in my first review). Now, it seems that it just shows my full name... which I really don't want it to.

I have been to my account through setttings and can't find anywhere to change the name displayed when reviewing an app. Anyone know where to go?

B

2. Satanic Goat macrumors regular

Satanic Goat

You should have been notified when you signed up for ping and had the option to delete some of the reviews

3. iambasil thread starter macrumors regular

Good name! :)

I looked into my Ping account, and I see what you're referring to. It doesn't give you the option to change your nickname anywhere from what I've seen (generally) and here in Ping, as you say it will overwrite all reviews from displaying your nickname to your full name.

If I want to avoid this, I was thinking of just lying about my First and Last name... but it says "The name you enter is also the name associated with your account's billing information".
    - What are the implications if I change it to be a nickname instead?

Thanks for your help!

4. SicMX macrumors member

Any update on this? I also don't want my full name to appear on the AppStore reviews :)

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

This is the main reason why i haven't signed up to Ping. I have only a few reviews under a nickname but its more to do with the fact that anything that i wrote in the future would show under my real name. I also noticed it said that your ping name would be the same as your billing account so i cancelled the activation of ping.

I've seen people on ping with obviously faked names etc but unless they have actually purchased anything from iTunes then i don't think the system would pick up on this. Once they try to buy something though surely if your billing name isn't correct then you would encounter problems with future purchases? EG. Mr Raul Simons buying something with a credit card linked to a Mr Saul Williams?

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

Welcome to the world of social networking. I assume all of you don't have Facebook accounts where your name, picture, etc are available to your "friends" and Facebook partners?

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

To my friends yes. But then i use my nickname on there anyway and my profile isn't available to anyone with a browser

8. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I think you can change it through iTunes on the computer. I have done it once before. Then maybe just sync

9. SicMX macrumors member

How did you manage to do that?

10. SicMX macrumors member

"If you turn off Ping, your iTunes nickname will reappear. Please note that the iTunes Store requires that your Ping name match the name listed in your iTunes Store account information (which is your Apple ID information). Thus, when you change your Ping name, the first and last name in your Apple ID information will be updated and vice versa."

Ok, so apparently all you have to do to get your nickname back is to turn off Ping and stop using it. Done.

11. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

i dint want my name up on itunes reviews so i just made it ronald mcdonald:D

12. SicMX macrumors member

That's another good solution =)

13. NJENKZ macrumors newbie

Hay guys i have found out how to change your nickname on the ipod.
    What you need to do is go on your computer and go into itunes, then click on the store button at the top of the page next to file, once there click on view my account, you have to type in your apple id password so do so, then it will show you your account information, if you scroll down settings it will show you your nickname and you can choose to edit it, once you have done that i wouls sync it to your ipod to make sure it saves. And thats all you need to do. I hope this was of help:)