Name for New Web Theme

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by alksion, Dec 2, 2014.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Nice collection, I love the Korean one. Nice typography and off canvas menu.

I don't know if there's specifically a name for this type of layout though. I guess panel based would be as close as I could get to describing it accurately.

As you mention though, its become very popular on the theme design sites.

3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks for the response! I see a lot of people referring to it as modern or Web 3.0. It's not just theme sites. Almost every major company out there is changing to this style of web.

Just wanted to know if there was an official name for it. I guess I'll call it modern panel web theme!

4. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

I'm digging the Korean one as well. The "request a project" and "careers' implementations are fun.

5. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Very clean, very modern looking. Looks to be very responsive as well.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

They're looking for a front-end dev, wonder if they'd let me work remotely...

7. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

These are not my websites or creations FYI. Just wondering why all major websites are going toward this design trend.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Dunno. Personally, I don't like it. I find it unreadable.

9. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

I know they weren't yours. As to why they are going to them? As I stated, very clean and modern looking.
    I can't stand websites that clutter up the page with links and images everywhere.

10. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

No problem. I just didn't want to take credit or anything.

11. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Honestly, It might be worth inquiring. Never hurts to ask.

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Probably "Metro", since they look like Windows 8 metro apps.

Count me in as a non-fan of the design. Too much negative space for a page that could fit in a paragraph. It's like they're trying too hard to inflate a mobile-phone website into a full-screen page.

13. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Many designers are now choosing this style as many re-design their websites to become fully responsive and work better across a range of devices. Its a more efficient way to target many devices and not limit your target audience. The time when designers build desktop websites & mobile ones is over. Im not sure on the name, however many websites are heavily influenced by the flat looks of Microsoft's Metro interface and the Google Material design language. Personally Im not always a big fan of the new direction, some websites definitely manage to pull it off, like the korean one, however many simply don't.

14. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I call these "bootstrap" sites, because it seems all sites made with the bootstrap library have this look. Sites look like this when you have to get something live fast and don't have time to deviate from the defaults and create something original.

15. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Is that strictly true? I mean yes they do maintain a hero element but I think there's a lot more to this design trend than "designers are lazy", especially when quite a few of those examples don't use Bootstrap.

16. 960design macrumors 68020

It's called Parallax and has become a fairly popular trend over the last 9 months or so. It seems every site I build has to have at least some of the Parallax elements in it.

PS. I don't use bootstrap or depend upon any other 3rd party developers to prevent my work from failing.

17. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Interesting. It's good to know!

18. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

It's a trend that Apple.com's product pages started years ago, Apple didn't do it for the responsive nature but for the immersive experience (large photos segmented by headline | copy). This trend makes developing responsive sites a cake walk as all you're really doing is changing the font size in @media and maybe swapping out images or changing background properties in CSS (if they used a background image).

Far as the bootstrap is crap comment that's rather silly, it's an open source CSS framework with huge community support behind it (built by Twitter). Bootstrap or even Foundation have a great foundation to start from if you're working with large product sites or need to bang out a prototype. By downloading the source version of Bootstrap you have full liberty to override everything.

If you're using something like Grunt or Gulp you can use tools they provide to let you know what CSS files and selectors aren't being used if you want to lighten the payload. Sure some designers are lazy and get stuck in the Bootstrap land but that doesn't mean Twitter Bootstrap is unreliable and causing developers to fail, that lays within the designer and developer.

19. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I didn't say that bootstrap is crap. I simply pointed out, as you did, that too many designers and developers rely upon the defaults. Bootstrap can absolutely be customised, but I would argue that there are other frameworks that make such customisation easier.