Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
other than Apple, that managed to piss off a whole section of it's customers, like Apple has, with it's dearth of hardware updates?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
my sister used to work for them selling speaker's, lots of complaints there from the public.
Samsung have the approach of thro everything at the wall and only keep what sticks.
ps they got sued in the EU for lack of support of updates on mobile phones, now they have to provide OS updates for them by law or something http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-sued-update-phones-668328/

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Hindustan Ambassador

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 220

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Caldigit for not releasing Yosemite drivers for old FASTA-6GU3 (Non-Pro) card (my card was one year old when Yosemite appeared).

A fine functioning USB 3.0/eSATA card, just obsolete by not releasing drivers.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Matrox. Bought their CompressHD card. I never could get it to work right. Drivers would cause my Mac to reboot constantly. Found out they stop updating their driver after Yosemite and Win 8.1 and considered the CompressHD obsolete.

Hank Carter

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Not really.

Companies like Commodore and Atari wanted to build new machines, but had no money for R&D.

Some companies like SUN and SGI were locked into proprietary hardware and not able to change course fast enough. They ended up as roadkill crushed under the Pentium steamroller and a flood of cheaper and faster hardware.

Blackberry was asleep at the wheel and didn't even really try to make a smartphone. Same for Nokia.

Chrysler recycled bad platforms (K-Car!) into an endless string of mediocre vehicles and eventually choked on their own vomit. Kind of like Apple under Sculley.

But I can't think of a single company with seemingly endless resources that has let an entire product division rot on the vine with barely concealed indifference.

To put this in perspective if the Macintosh division was a standalone company it would be a massive success with billions in sales and among the top 5 computer manufacturers on the planet. And that's without even trying and selling obsolete hardware. Can anyone image what their sales would be like if they put as much effort into computers as they do into watchbands?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Samsung, Blackberry, Nokia, Microsoft.... they all had money for R&D and time.

>_< accept it, apple is not a shining light.
and relay apple is 100% where they want to be in the market, there raking in the cash... raking it in.
most there users get what they want, they dont need or know what there cpu is past it's mhz and maybe number of cores.
if you can go to facebook, buy shoes, watch youtube, light productivity apps (Microsoft office etc), skype, emails, mate it with your phone play music & netflix then you provide what most users want. ie consumers

the imac updates has had a lot of nods towards the indie video production segment with it's display updates.
but we may never see things like the apple avid cooperation like we did in the past https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid_Technology

& from a pro perspective you want a system that is stable and works, constant updates are for enthusiasts.
I know people in the video land that upgrade the system once a generation of video (ie SD->1080p->4K)

Reactions: CreatorCode

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Can anyone image what their sales would be like if they put as much effort into computers as they do into watchbands?
sales would probably be worse, right?
where are you getting all this effort being put into watchbands?

idk, i imagine they're putting lots more effort into osx and computers than watchbands.

or- how many people do you imagine Apple has working on watch bands? and how many working on macs?

Reactions: poematik13

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
id gess it's new people or subcontractors working on the watch bands, there was a story a while back that some osx people got pulled in to the ios ecosystem to meet a deadline thats a much more legit target than the watch bands.

Reactions: flat five

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Commodore, Backard Bell,
Amiga

wouldn't include Blackberry they provide a lot of hardware upgrades just no money for R&D or any quality testing but they (still) make a lot of phones and security software

Reactions: VAGDesign

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
Matrox. Bought their CompressHD card. I never could get it to work right. Drivers would cause my Mac to reboot constantly. Found out they stop updating their driver after Yosemite and Win 8.1 and considered the CompressHD obsolete.

Agree, Matrox is the worst

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.