Name of new Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NStocks, Nov 6, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi, Just this minutes I got my first Mac - Macbook Pro, and want to change the name. Before I even read the step of setting up my mac process, I already pressed the Continue button and could'nt go back to change my name.

s it possible for me to change the nae that will show up on finder window etc. or would I have to reinstall OS X... I hope not :(

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

apple menu (top left) --> system preferences --> sharing --> computer name

you can also click twice slowly (a single click to select, then click on text - as opposed to a double-click) on "Macintosh HD" to change the name of the HDD. This is the drive name. ie. Mine might read "vandozza's macbook" instead of "Macintosh HD"

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

oh, and if it's the user name that you want to change, then create a second account (with admin privileges) in system preferences --> users, with the account name that you do want.

log out, and log in to the new account, and delete the old, incorrect user account (again in sys pref/users.) *BE WARNED, this deletes the original, incorrect user name and all it's associated files as well. you should be ok since the macbook is new though. if you have transferred files already, do be careful with this.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean like in the finder window, it currently says stocks1990, as thats part of me email account, but instead I want it to say 'Nathan'

I'm also having trouble setting up mail, it keeps asking for IMAP POP or Exchange account and no matter which one I try with my email account it does'nt work:confused:

Thanks for the fast response !

NStocks

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

which one are you trying to change? option 1 or 2? (click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

for option 1 - you need to change the name of the HDD
    for option 2 - you need to make a new user account with the correct name, and delete the old account

can i ask who is your email provider of the account you are trying to set up?

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean option 2.

I'm using a googlemail.com account, also I just installed the messenger for mac, but the there i a shortcut on the desktop, can I just delete this or would this uninstall the program ?

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

fixing the user name (option 2)

make sure there is NOTHING on your mac that you don't care about losing, this process will remove the stocks1990 account completely. don't proceed if you are unsure!

1. go to apple (top left)/system preferences/accounts pref pane
    2. click the + button bottom left (if it's greyed out/not clickable, click the padlock icon to unlock with your admin password first.)
    3. change the account type in the drop down to Administrator, put in your full name. the SHORT NAME, is the one displayed in the finder window. put in a password, and hint if you want. probably leave filevault off (can be turned on later if wanted.)
    4. hit create account
    5. log out (apple menu/log out)
    6. log in as new user (using shortname and password from step 3.)
    7. go back to system pref/accounts, select the old, incorrect account and hit the - button. it will delete the incorrect account.

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks very much for that, it's now sorted :)

I can't belive I finally have a Mac, I've being wanting one for well over a year, and it came today.. which is 6 days earlier than expected.

Now I will have to install the applications I need ( Photoshop Office etc. ) Are there any free applications that you reccomend ?

NStocks

10. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have started to set up mail, but it says on google go to Mail > Prefrences, but that option is greyed out when I start up mail

I know I probablly seem like a idiot but this is all new to me :p

11. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

is gmail sorted?

there is a great list of mac apps over here - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=226403

and - http://bestmacsoftware.org/

ill give you a list of apps to check out, you can then google them to see what they are :p

skitch (used above for screenshots)
    cyberduck (ftp)
    textexpander
    istat menus
    dropbox
    adium (chat)
    coda / cssedit / textmate / textwrangler / smultron (web development, text utils)
    evernote
    firefox
    miro / joost
    transmission (torrents)
    pixelmator / gimp (photoshop)
    openoffice 3 / neooffice (word)
    things (todo)
    vlc / perian (will play all media files)
    voodoo pad
    onyx / xslimmer / appfresh / appzapper / burn
    netnewswire / newsfire (rss)
    1password
    littlesnitch (firwall - outbound)
    handbrake / mactheripper
    expandrive
    quicksilver (app launcher and more)
    the unarchiver (unzipper)

12. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

is there a "set-up wizard" thing that wants your attention? if so just cancel this and you should be able to go into prefs then?

13. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

oh and you probably want this widget more that all the other apps mentioned -

this app