Name of the program that runs linux and windows apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aldog, Jan 17, 2008.

1. aldog macrumors regular

I know this is a very broad question, and I apologize, but this is driving me crazy. What's the name of the program that people take and make ports for mac. It's some sort of thing where you open up your console, and possibly x11 and you have to have some knowledge of the code for those programs but it let's you run certain programs that have been ported.

the only one I could think of was wine, but I don't think that's right for what I'm talking about, the thing is, I downloaded said program when i first got my mbp and I haven't needed it since, so I want to get it off my computer, but I can't do that if I don'tknow what it is.
    This might sound ridiculous, me just installing programs willy nilly, but this was my first mac, and I have a tendacy to go crazy with things like that when I first get something and not pay attention to what I'm doing.
    So thanks in advanced, and sorry for the retarded question.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you're talking about running Windows apps without Windows (which is what Wine basically does), maybe you're thinking of Crossover--basically a commercial wine package.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is X11, but that's an Apple-supplied app within OSX (though Apple doesn't install the app by default), and there's really no reason to get rid of it. There are other X11 packages available... maybe one of those?

3. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

If you need knowledge of the actual code....is he talking about gcc perhaps?

-Bryan

5. aldog thread starter macrumors regular

It was darwinports! Thank you!
    woo. glad I asked, thanks everyone.

now to just figure out how to uninstall it considering I keep getting command not found errors.

6. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Wine? ist can use windows apps inside linux so :)

7. aldog thread starter macrumors regular

thanks I tried that but I get the command not found error when I try to run the suggested code
    $ sudo rm -rf /opt/local /Applications/DarwinPorts /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup