Name of this video effect?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Thunderbird, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Hi, completely new to video editing. Just looking around at different basic editing software right now. One effect I'd like to have in any program I decide on is something I don't even know the name of.

It's when a still photo starts from full screen (or even beyond full screen) then gets smaller and smaller as it recedes into the distance, ultimately vanishing. But before it vanishes, another photo appears full screen in the foreground and starts receding, and gets smaller and smaller, and so on and so on, etc., creating a cascading effect. I would like the speed of this receding effect to be adjustable. I hope this description makes sense.

Does anyone know what this effect is called?

2. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

It seems like resizing and than fading to transparent. On the top layer of your video software you would have the next clip doing just the same, going from big to small. Any software can do that.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

"Transitions" is what it is called. Some software will come with built in transitions and some software will allow you to build your own. iMovie comes with transitions you can add, whereas software like Adobe After Effects allows you to build your own transitions. Very simple feature to build or add to movie you are creating.

4. LovinKansas macrumors newbie

Are you looking for the "Ken Burns effect"

"The Ken Burns effect is a type of panning and zooming effect used in video production from still imagery. The name derives from extensive use of the technique by American documentarian Ken Burns."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

5. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

But is it a certain kind of transition with its own name?

No, it's not panning. It's kind of zooming, but it's zooming OUT, making the photo look like it's going further and further away in the distance until it gets so small that it disappears. Think of the example of how in some movies they show the earth getting smaller and smaller as a spaceship moves further away. But I'd want to repeat the zooming out process over and over with multiple photos.

There must be a name to this effect that I can look for in software features list.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It is a type of dissolve. I am not sure if there really is a specific name for this type of dissolve.

I am hoping another member can possibly put a specific name to it, if there is one.

7. coldsweat, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

There's a basic transition in FCPX called spin which does basically what you're asking except as soon as outgoing clip reduces in size, the next image is 'underneath' it already. By default it's initially the reverse of what your asking for, but you can make it run the other way in the settings. Also the outgoing clip spins as it gets smaller (hence the transition name) but you can just set the rotation to 0 to get rid of it.

Spin is at 3.00

8. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Spin is sort of it. Does spin in reverse and without the spin have a name in programs other than FCPX?

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Not really. "Spin" is just a generic name Apple gave to the pre-built transition.

Other NLEs probably have something similar, or you can keyframe it manually to get more control over it. I would use a motion graphics program like AE of Motion to do this for the best results.