name one thing you would like to change on your primary OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPhoneCollector, Feb 18, 2011.

1. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Basically name one thing you would change on the OS you use most frequently. So if you have windows then name one thing you dislike about windows same goes of course for OS X,Linux(name the distribution),Solaris and so on. You can also say what you don't like about you primary mobile OS like android or IOS.
    In my case OS X i don't like the fact that it doesn't have as much software available as Windows has.
    Ps. this has been copied from Lifehacker but i thought it would be nice to post it on Macrumors because the number of potential posters is quit a bit larger.

2. Steve Mobs, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Steve Mobs macrumors regular

I use Windows and Mac mostly so I'll post about both.

Windows:

1. Program management like Mac OS. I don't like the installers / uninstallers, it should be simple like Apps (Copy or Move to Trash for installing and uninstalling respectively).

2. Ability to move around files while they're being used.

3. Something like Spaces without the need for a third-party program.

4. Migrating and disk cloning utilities.

5. Tabbed file browsing.

Mac:

1. Ability to minimize an App Window by clicking on its Dock icon.

2. True maximize (might be unneeded with Lion), and snapping windows to edges of screen (not Aero).

3. Ability to right-click on items within a menu under certain conditions.

4. Cut and pasting for files / folders.

5. Tabbed file browsing.

3. iPhoneCollector thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

aaah, copy paste. thats one major lack. o know the terminal supports moving files from one place to another but the GUI doesn't.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my 10.6.6 Macs 9in my signature) I already have number 4.

For number 2 you windows switcher need to look at SizeWell.

For number 5 you Windows switchers again need to look at TotalFinder.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Windows
    - Move away from using the Start Menu to access programs. I don't know what exactly needs improving but it 15 years old now and it becomes awfully cluttered.

- SkyDrive integration for file management and online backup.

- Zune to replace Windows Media Player.

- Simple installation process for smaller programs, like on Mac OS X.

- The ability to uninstall bundled app like Media Player and Internet Explorer. Though I use both of these, I think consumers would be more happy if they can fully remove them from their computers if they want to.

- Better backup features. Create bootable system images. Integrate with SkyDrive

- Better partition management

- Microsoft Security Essentials built into the OS

- The ability to install Windows on a exFAT partition so when I'm using Mac, I can read/write to my Windows partition OR the ability to read/write to HFS+ drives natively.

Though if I were really pressed, I suppose I would say that I would like to see a UI changed into something more modern.

Mac OS

- Cut & paste within Finder.

- Right-click Sent to... function similar to Windows so I can easily copy things to my flash drives.

- The ability to view the contents of a .ZIP file.

- Better window management when using Expose, but I think that's kinda happening with Lion.

- Something like Areo Snap on Windows built into Mac. I find it very useful on my Windows desktop.

- The ability to install Mac on an exFAT partition so I can read/write to my Mac partition when in Window.

- Natively read/write NT file system.

6. iPhoneCollector thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

funny how no one says anything about Linux. i guess its just perfect.

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

#2, you could check out Cinch which provides hot spots like you have in Windows 7: left or right for app to automatically take up half the screen, push against the top for app to take up full screen.

Cinch on the Mac App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cinch/id412529613?mt=12

#3, I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. I can right click in the right click menu for ClipMenu, so it's possible..

#4/#5, highly recommend TotalFinder which adds native Finder tabbed browsing and maps Command+X to cut file operation (in addition to several other enhancements).

TotalFinder website: http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

8. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

I prefer not to use third-party software to get extra features if I can help it.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Linux:
    1. Too many "distributions" makes it unpredictable. Too many vendors with too frequent releases.
    2. Problematic support of USB devices.
    3. GUIs (mainly Gnome and KDE) are crude compared to Windows/OS X
    4. Not friendly to non-technical people.
    5. Virtually no commercial-quality software. User community insists everything be "free."

Mac OS X:
    1. File dialogs should allow creating/renaming/deleting files
    2. Scalable user interface fonts
    3. Poor online documentation
    4. Needs built-in folder synchronization like Windows

Microsoft Windows:
    1. Registry cannot be easily cleaned or modified.
    2. Folder hierarchy is kept hidden and varies between releases.
    3. Why does it still have drive letters?
    4. Drive fragments too easily.
    5. GUI changes in past decade have mostly added only "eye-candy" and consume more resources rather than make using the computer easier.

10. iPhoneCollector thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

thats exactly what i meant. if one has to fix an issue with the help of some 3rd party apps then the issue needs to be solved by the company whose in charge for the product in the first place, in this case apple.