Name that tune ! - Unknown 'error' sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Foxile, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Foxile macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2007
    My iMac has started played a strange sound at random times and I'm at a loss as to what it might be.

The sound is a 'bing bong' and doesn't correspond to any sounds listed under System Pref. I'm not sure what it could be and I can't find a way of listing all 'processes' that are currently running.

I can only assume it's an alarm of some sort, but all I can see running from Dock is Safari and Finder.

Can anyone shed a little light, please ?
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  3. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Have you Growl on your system?

To see all processes running, you go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select Show All Processes.

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

I came here looking for a song listening and identifying contest, not a problem. And you don't deliver that tune. Can you via HijackPro record the sound and publish it here?
  4. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2007
    Nothing on iCal ( will remember that for future reference though ).

I don't have HiJackPro and as the sound is played at random intervals, it'll be very hard to record it and post it, sadly.
  5. jay77hk macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2010
    i have exactly the same error.
    i would say the sound is more like a "dan dannn" which occurs randomly sometimes once every hour, sometimes twice in a row.

it's so annoying !!

i had this sound error with my MBP 13 (2009), then now with my new MBA i just bought a few days ago.

Note : My MBA has no software installed yet except Firefox and Skype.
    Firefox extensions : Coolpreview, anywheather, colorfultabs and colorpick

Anyone please help !!!
  6. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2007
    Exactly what I'm getting.

I have since sold my iMac and moved to a MBP. Fresh out of the box, it didn't do it all, but now I've installed all the usual apps, it's back :(
  7. jay77hk macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2010
    Do you have Skype installed ?
    i have upgraded to the new Skype 5 Beta, and since (2 days) no more sound error !