Name that tune.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Dec 18, 2007.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Okay, this is going to be a really hard one, but maybe you can fish it out. I was at an Italian restaurant last night, and I heard this song that I really like, but I don't know what it's called or even any lyrics to help me with a lyric search. I was hoping that by giving some clues, someone might be able to figure it out. This is driving me crazy!

1. It's a famous song. I have heard it a lot of times before.
    2. It's a big band orchestra song. I could hear trumpets, trombones, etc.
    3. The lead singer was male singing in the style of Frank Sinatra - although I'm sure it wasn't him.
    4. The song is in English, although it fits in an Italian restaurant.
    5. In the chorus, a lot of lines ended with the phrase "my love."
    6. I swear I have heard this song on the radio in a different form (although very similar) in the last 5 or 6 years. It had a phase where it was really popular and it was being played a lot. My first instinct was that it was part of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but it wasn't.

I know that these clues are really really vague, and there's is almost no chance someone's going to figure this out. But I thought I would try and maybe by posting some questions or suggestions, we could whittle it down to what the song is.

So, any takers?

P-Worm

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... as a complete stab in the dark do the lyrics of Goodnight My Love by Paul Anka ring any bells?

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That's a good guess.

4. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Unfortunately, that isn't it. In the chorus section, it's almost like every phrase ends with "my love." I'm trying to remember how the melody goes so that I can play it on my midi keyboard and have you listen to it, but I can't seem to remember how it goes.

P-Worm

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Almost every line of "My Love" by Justin Timberlake ends with "my love"--I wonder if it was a more classical cover of it?

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'll play, can you maybe give some rhythm.
    That is an 80's song.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It wouldn't be "Fly Me To The Moon" would it. Or "The Way You Look Tonight".

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is it "Maybe Tomorrow" by Mesh StL (or perhaps a cover of it?) The chorus ends with "My Love" and it was somewhat popular 5 or 6 years ago (although, probably not outside the midwest as Mesh StL was a local St. Louis band and never made it big)

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He said it's a big band sound, so that rules out anything of the past 30 years, You need to be in the Rat Pack era.

If we could get the first line of the song would help.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, I'm wondering if it was a Muzak-like cover of it or something.....

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Not necessarily, big band did have a bit of a revival a few years back, over here at least – popular artists like Robbie Williams and Westlife had albums out based on the style.

But you're right in so far as it is a very distinctive sound, which rules out most recent stuff.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How about "Unchained Melody".

If he was in an Italian restaurant that would rule out Robbie Williams, It was more likely a standard from the 60's.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Robbie Williams album was essentially him covering songs from that the big band era in that style – I doubt it was what P-Worm heard, but really I was using it as an example to point out that there was a mini-revival of the sound a few years back rather than suggesting it might be a Robbie track. ;}

Another suggestion – Miss Jaffa Cake suggested it might be Michael Bublé, who often uses a big band sound. I've had a quick listen to one of his albums she has (see, the things I do for you :p) – it was released in 2003 which fits in with you hearing it a fair bit a few years back, and there's a trumpet and trombone-equipped song called Moondance on there which has a chorus featuring the words 'my love' at the end of each line?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That would fit the genre. I think you got it. I always liked the big band sound and he seems to capture it nicely.

Give Miss Jaffa a prize, I think she won. Ok next song.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think we'd best wait until we hear from P-Worm before we go doling any prizes out. ;) :p

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Nothing wrong with opening presents before xmas is there.;)

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You might at least credit Van the Man...

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ohh good point.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed, Van Morrison's original version is miles better – and it always reminds me of An American Werewolf in London which is no bad thing – but I think the more big band sound of the foppish Bublé's cover version fits in more with what P-Worm says he heard.

21. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Holy crap! You got it! It was indeed Moondance. Thanks a lot Miss Jaffa Cake!

P-Worm

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It was Miss Jaffa Cake who suggested I look at Michael Bublé (I'm assuming it was his version you heard), so I can't really take the credit. I'll pass your thanks onto her. :)