Name this port

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by carl201167, Jul 9, 2011.

  1. carl201167 macrumors regular

    May 31, 2005
    London, UK
    I feel a bit of a doofus asking something that will be so easy to many of you, but what's the name of this display port on this (late 2005?) mac mini

    I want to buy a cheap monitor to use it with, and I need to ensure I get one that has the right cable. Thanks
  2. carl201167 thread starter macrumors regular

    May 31, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks, so (final noddy question) a cheap monitor like this will be supported on it?

    (I want it as a home server so quality display not important so long as it just works)
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    Should be. Obviously I've not tested that particular combination but there is no reason for it not to work…
  4. TebWeb macrumors newbie

    Nov 8, 2010
    That monitor will work fine. You can also hook it up to a VGA monitor--DVI-VGA adapters are pretty plentiful and cheap.
  5. Tulpa macrumors regular

    May 11, 2011
    The DVI-VGA adapter is probably the way to go, as it expands your options of hooking up to monitors and TVs by quite a bit if you want to do different things in the future. iirc that mini came with such an adapter when it was originally sold in 2005, probably lost or kept by a previous owner though.
  6. cocacolakid, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

    cocacolakid macrumors 65816


    Dec 18, 2010
    DVI and HDMI are digital signals, you'll get a slightly better picture if your monitor has a DVI or HDMI input. You can buy an inexpensive DVI to HDMI adapter if you need to (Around $5 U.S. or less).

    VGA is an analog format, those are the blue inputs you see on older monitors, giant tube type crt monitors, etc. Those will work too, and you can get a DVI to VGA adapter if needed, also inexpensively, but if you have the option, and if you're looking for a new monitor, try to get one with either DVI or HDMI input.

    If you ever decide to hook your mini up to an HDTV, normally you have two options based on the inputs on HDTV's, either a VGA input, or an HDMI input. Again, choose the HDMI input, so you would in that case need a DVI to HDMI adapter (and to get sound you would need a 3.5 mm audio cable to run from the Mini to your HDTV - and depending on your TV's audio inputs, the cable should either be 3.5 mm on that end or older RCA style red and white inputs). If any of that is confusing, just ask and anyone will be happy to help, including myself.

Share This Page