Nameserver Interfering with Internet Connection?!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Alchemist, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Alchemist macrumors member

Alchemist

Hi guys,

Bit of a weird one for you. I've come here as I need somewhere with a HUGE!
    knowledgebase!

I have a client who I am doing some web design for and have changed the nameservers for one of his domain names (registered with premierhost.co.uk) so as to have it point at a hosting package that I have setup with VexxHost.com. The migration seems complete as the domain (imagewise.co.uk) now resolves in the browser and I can view documents via the site which I know only exist on the new host.

I've just had a call from my client telling me that his home internet connection is now down and that he thinks it must have something to do with the changes I've made. I've checked his ISP's homepage and there does not seem to be any outage notifications in effect for his area. As far as I am aware, the two things are utterly unrelated and I cannot understand how changing the nameservers at premierhost.co.uk could have any bearing on his internet connection which as I understand it is supplied by Demon Internet UK.

Is there something I am missing? I can't for the life of me think of a credible explanation for how changing the nameserver at a domain name registrant would impact a home broadband internet connection provided by an entirely different company.

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this as I want to get it resolved whatever the problem may be and right now I can't call it anything other than coincidence.

Many thanks

Tony

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't know how tech-savvy this person is, but it's very possible his miss-representing what's happening to him. I'd ask simple questions like what site he's accessing, has he installed anything recently, what his network settings are, is there another computer there he can try, etc.

You're right that the events are unrelated.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe he had been using the old nameserver as the DNS for his home system. Ask him about his DNS settings...

4. Alchemist thread starter macrumors member

Alchemist

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts. That's not a bad idea actually, the first one I've come across that might actually be the reasoning. That said, it's apparently spung into life now, so not to worry! Sounds like despite his accusing tone, it was just coincidental!

Many thanks,

Will shout if the ugly problem raises it's head again.

All the best

Tony