Naming a new iMac? How is it used?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Jul 30, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I'm going to order a new iMac and this had me thinking. When you first boot up a new Mac you give it a name, I always use a name that is not my associated with my first and last name. Besides the username for the Mac, are there any other ways that the name given to a Mac is actually used?

Thanks.

2. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

Think of it as the Network Name

Any time you browse your local network, that is the name that is shown.

In my case, my iMac is "BIGMAC".

My kids know that is what they need to connect the AppleTV, iPods, etc to get media.

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it used outside of a local network? On the internet? In other words, do cookies use this info?

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

What Markintosh said, it's basically the "Sharing", or Bonjour, name for the Mac since that's how devices on your network will identify it. In my home all of my devices use Futurama names. My TV (Mac mini) is Bender, my iMac is Fry, MacBook Air is Leela, Time Capsule is Planet Express, etc.

With that said, you can change the name in System Preferences > Sharing. So even if you use your actual name for the username (John Doe, jdoe) you can change it from showing "John Doe's iMac" to "Mind Your Own Business' iMac" in the Sharing preferences.

5. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Everything needs a name, just because.

After completing a tough project, I like to pat my Mini and say "Good job Minion." Makes him feel more like part of the family.