Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Apologies if I posted in the wrong forums, but I've a question in regards to iTunes, is there any option to stop iTunes from automatically naming albums? For example if I wanted to type: Over the Edge as OVER THE EDGE in all caps, iTunes will just rewrite it as Over the Edge, I'm not sure if anyone get what I'm trying to say? It's like iTunes is trying to be in control here and I'm getting really miffed about it!

It's just not albums though, even song titles, basically it will retrieve previous info or anything similar in your library. Any ideas?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Apologies if I posted in the wrong forums, but I've a question in regards to iTunes, is there any option to stop iTunes from automatically naming albums? For example if I wanted to type: Over the Edge as OVER THE EDGE in all caps, iTunes will just rewrite it as Over the Edge, I'm not sure if anyone get what I'm trying to say? It's like iTunes is trying to be in control here and I'm getting really miffed about it!

It's just not albums though, even song titles, basically it will retrieve previous info or anything similar in your library. Any ideas?

open a word/note document. type OVER THE EDGE in caps like you wish then copy and paste into the space in iTunes that you wish to have it. it then should save without changing to small caps

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
open a word/note document. type OVER THE EDGE in caps like you wish then copy and paste into the space in iTunes that you wish to have it. it then should save without changing to small caps

It worked! Much thanks, iTunes sure loves making simple tasks so heart-wrenchingly painful. I can't believe we have to rely on Notepad to do this.

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
You might not need to open a separate app. I usually right click the album and click get info to change tags. It still tries to autofill the title it thinks is correct but you can use the notes/comments text box to type the correct title and cut and paste from there. Hopefully that made sense.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Or add an extra letter in front of the name, type in the name you intend on using, then delete the extra letter.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
You might not need to open a separate app. I usually right click the album and click get info to change tags. It still tries to autofill the title it thinks is correct but you can use the notes/comments text box to type the correct title and cut and paste from there. Hopefully that made sense.

Sorry for the late reply but no worries that made sense, I actually did that (typing in the comment box) after a few minutes when I initially tried out the Notepad method. ;)

Or add an extra letter in front of the name, type in the name you intend on using, then delete the extra letter.

This also works!

Thanks all for the reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.