naming and copyright issues

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by counciler, Jan 29, 2012.

1. counciler macrumors newbie

Maybe somebody well versed in copyright/trademark laws can assist me. I have a utility app that is designed to assist others with a product that is copyrighted. I want to advertise it as that and name it accordingly.

For example: I want to make an assistant for Monopoly that keeps track of everyone's money and titles. I'll call it Monopoly assistant and describe it as the ultimate tool for helping people keep track of their stuff on Monopoly. Am I violating any trademark issues in the name or description?

I know people do stuff in the app store all the time like this, but I'm wondering how legal it actually is. I wouldn't want to run into any troubles later on. I also know that there are certain exclusions in trademark and copyright, like the license to parody. Is there a license for utility? Links to legit legal websites would be most helpful.

2. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

I'm moderately (but not completely) sure that everything that goes in the app store is protected under Apple. So say you pushed out the monopoly assistant and it was against a copyright law, parker bros. would have to consult Apple and all Apple would have to do is take it down.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

They're called lawyers. Consult one instead of relying on random forum posters. Unless you're looking to be liable for providing incorrect information to your users.

4. counciler, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

counciler thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I had planned on looking up whatever anyone said. Which is why I said links would be most useful. Like wickerman mentioned the Apple's TOS, it's easy to look that up. Stuff is easier to look up when you know exactly what you're looking up. I don't really want to pay a lawyer a bunch of money just to provide a free service to people. Though I might want to add a lot more features and charge a little bit for it. Either way, I wouldn't be making nearly enough money to justify paying a lawyer for consultation.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of incorrect information I would provide to my users that I'd get from this thread. I'm not going to go start saying "This app is completely legal!" in my description. That would be tacky whether it's true or not.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

consult a lawyer. if you make this app and you are found for copyright infringement (this can be easy as making money off of someone elses name) and you end up having to pay damages you may lose all the money you made from the app and your house too.

saying apple just takes it down is not the thing to say especially when it depends on how aggressive the copyright holder is.