Naming on network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willie45, Feb 6, 2008.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

I am using a wired adsl modem router, the Netgear DG834. I am running an iMac and MBP on this network. In addition there is a Dell desktop and laptop running windows which connect. I have a fairly simple question. Can anyone tell me how to give my imac a name which the netgear router recognises? It keeps coming up as unknown ( as do the windows machines) The MBP comes up as MACINTOSH but I feel that this is because I use it on a windows network in my office and it has been given a Netbios name. (I'm way out of my knowledge comfort zone here but I read something to this effect somewhere :D )

Anyway I would really like to know which mac is mine easily without having to remember MAC addresses etc so that I can apply some rules to the computers via site blocking in the router.

Sorrry if this is a bit garbled but I'm not too knowledgable about these things

Thanks in advance

Willie

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I don't understand. I have done this and named it, not very originally, "iMac" When I share files between the two the hames apppear on the macs but when I am connected to the internet, they don't come up on the router. I would like to be able to id them on the router by name if possible. If that's not possible, then I will just have to use the MAC address I suppose.

Willie

Edit: I suppose my problem is that each of the macs recognise each other but the router doesn't and just calls them "UNKNOWN" I would like to give the macs names on the network that the router would recognise

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It's probably a limitation of the router.

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

6. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Yeah my Work and Home NetGear routers always come up with unknown, can you assign a name to the Mac Address within the Router Config?

7. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I was wondering if I should try that. I don't know much about this stuff so didn't want to mess up any settings by doing that. I wondered if I reserved an IP address for the iMac could I give it a name at the same time

Willie

8. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if DNS caching is enabled on the router and they still show up as unknown, unplug the router for 5-10 seconds and plug it back in and it should populate

9. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Try changing the characters of the computer name to upppercase and see what the router throws back at you. If this fails then try imac in lower case.

10. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks folks. I will try these suggestions

Willie