iPad NAND Problems in Air 2 too?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bcam117, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bcam117, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

bcam117 macrumors member

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/07/apple-stopping-tlc-nand-flash-iphone-6-6-plus/

Does anyone think this could apply to the Air 2 also? I unfortunately live in a ******** so we don't get the Apple Store return experience most of you guys get. I'd rather wait if they're going to be revising stuff.

Could anyone post a detailed report of Geekbench results? Maybe we could compare 16GB vs 64GB, just to get an indication or something.

Also if anyone has any idea how we could tell what NAND they using the 64GB Air 2 that would be great :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its conceivable they used the same type of NAND for the Air 2.

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Except I doubt there are NAND problems on the iPhone.

TLC doesn't perform as well as MLC (its a large apps library issue apparently), but that's like saying the i5 processor isn't as capable as an i7 processor. But that does't mean the i5 is "defective".

4. bcam117 thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough, I was just really hoping that NAND wouldn't be too narrow a bottleneck, considering everything else is really well, maybe even over-speced.

5. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

I read that the Ipad air 2 uses different storage memory that is much faster than that found in the latest phones, so I don't think it will be an issue.

6. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I see no re evidence in the business Korea article to suggest any of it is true. Boot loops can be caused by any number of things, so I wouldn't lose sleep over this whole fiasco.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

If the NAND is shown to be the problem then its a defect. I am amazed and all the norming that seems to follow these reports.

Are you suggesting its because folks who have paid for and want to use the 64 or 128 GB are at fault because those chips can't really handle it?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's enough reboots of issues, not performance difference and apple is moving back to MLC. Since they own a company that produces TLC, it is conceivable that it could be used in the iPad Air as well as the iPhone but I'm just speculating since I don't have any first hand knowledge.

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

TLC doesn't perform as well as and has lower P/E cycles compared to MLC. That's a given. However, if using TLC NAND causes problems on a device (boot loops, etc), then yes, that's a defect albeit, one that can likely be corrected in software. The i5 (heck, even the Celeron) may not be as fast as the i7 but the only effect is longer boot time, etc. Its lack of speed doesn't cause the system to crash.

10. jks2014, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

jks2014 macrumors newbie

Saw it in other forums,
    They jailbreak and test their iPads , only the 16gb is using MLC, 128gb is totally TLC,
    most of the 64gb is using TLC also, with a few very rare cases of MLC...

&there are some rummors about some of the 64gb actually use Toshiba TLC but which actually have storage of 128gb, but somehow restricted by APPLE to become 64gb.

I have tested mine too, it is TLC from Toshiba...
    dono which brand is better, sandisk or toshiba??
    so far my air 2 only rebooted once while i was downloading

i think thanks to TLC, that is why apple can lower the price of 64&128gb version....
    but if it is possible, i don't mind to pay slightly more to get MLC, cox i don't like the idea that the device will slow down way too much

11. John Bokma macrumors newbie

I also live in a ***** place, so am worried about this as well, especially since I want to buy 2 iPad Airs...

Anyway: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Air+2+Teardown/30592 gives:
    SK Hynix H2JTDG8UD1BMR 128 Gb (16 GB) NAND Flash.

Googling for that part number leads to a PDF:
    https://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/datasheet/Databook/Databook_3Q'2014_NANDFlash.pdf

Searching in it for H2JTDG8UD1BMR finds it on page 6 under the heading "E2NAND3.0". The other headings are SLC, MLC, eMMC. It's not clear (to me, yet) if E2NAND3.0 is a fancy name for (improved?) TLC.

It's also not clear if this type is used in each and every 16GB model (wouldn't surprise me if not), let alone the higher ones.

12. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

People, people, there's no issue here. No one has reported a wide spread issue of iPad Air 2 rebooted unexpectedly. Mine hasn't rebooted once since I received it.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm not sure how accurate the report is that Apple is switching back from TLC to MLC NAND but if it's true and Apple is taking action, that suggests it's a legitimate concern. :rolleyes: