Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I currently have a Creative Zen Touch 20GB, and it's overkill for me. I want something with a much smaller capacity and a size reduction too.

I have always heard bad things about ipods and warranties and breaking down and such like.

1) Should I expect the battery to fail after a year and have to be repaired? I would hope to get 2 years out of it without repair.

2) Are ipods any more prone to failure than any other mp3 players, or do the general public just have butter fingers? My Zen has been a real trooper and I'm wary of buying a player that's gonna be throwing temper tantrums.

Also, if I buy off Apples online store, does making use of their free engraving offer make getting a refund or replacement any more troublesome?

Thanks

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
meanpeoplesuck said:
1) Should I expect the battery to fail after a year and have to be repaired? I would hope to get 2 years out of it without repair.

2) Are ipods any more prone to failure than any other mp3 players, or do the general public just have butter fingers? My Zen has been a real trooper and I'm wary of buying a player that's gonna be throwing temper tantrums.

Also, if I buy off Apples online store, does making use of their free engraving offer make getting a refund or replacement any more troublesome?

I have had my mini since they first came out and it still works like a charm. Battery life is a bit less, but thats the reality of rechargables. My uncle still has his 2nd Gen iPod and he still gets reasonable battery life so I don't think its a huge concern.

I don't know what you mean by failure? Like they arrive DOA or after a month they decide to stop working? Again, I have never experienced that nor do I know anyone who has (although I am sure there are people who have got bunk iPods!)

I'm pretty sure if you buy it off Apple.com and then get ir engraved, there are no refunds. If it is broken, they will fix it but you cannot get your money back. Best bet is to buy it from BestBuy or one of those big box places where you if you find after a week you don't like it, you just bring it back.

Hope that helps a lil! :D

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My eighteen month old 60GB iPod photo is used everyday and still lasts for the full 15 hours. My daughters 6GB iPod mini is over a year old and still runs for 18 hours. My friends 2G iPod is still going strong and that's over 3 years old.

Some of the older models had problems, especially the 3G iPods and 1G minis but I don't think it is an issue with the newer ones.

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply :)

By battery failure, I meant situations where you hear people say "My ipod stopped working" after around a year and it appears that the battery/ipod has just died and stopped working and they have to send it away to get it fixed.

No engraving for me then!

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
meanpeoplesuck said:
By battery failure, I meant situations where you hear people say "My ipod stopped working" after around a year and it appears that the battery/ipod has just died and stopped working and they have to send it away to get it fixed.

that problem has been fixed with the newer models. that said, you never know if you might get a dud but Apple is usually good about fixing such issues. of the 4 iPods i have owned (3G, 4G, 2 iPod nanos) none have had battery failure.

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Would you guys expect there to be any teething problems with the 2nd generation nanos? Or have you heard of any?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
meanpeoplesuck said:
Would you guys expect there to be any teething problems with the 2nd generation nanos? Or have you heard of any?

There are some issues with the headphone jack not working great. I'd heard about it before I got mine and hoped that it wouldn't happen to me.

It did. The headphone jack gets spotty pickup in my left ear.

It's just rare enough that I keep wondering if I'll get around to taking it into the Apple store.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Honestly, I'm taken aback by your concerns. The iPod is far and away the leading digital music player, and it didn't attain this status by accident. There are Apple-haters out there who will not be satisfied no matter how close to perfection the iPod gets, but if you seek the objective reviews of folks like David Pogue, or even Paul Thurrott, you'll go a long way toward getting the real story on the iPod.

I can tell you that I have had mine for two years without a hint of a problem. It has shown the same workman-like resilience that I have come to expect of all my Apple products. Couldn't be happier. :)

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Sorry for bumping my thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just for this question -

In part of a review I was reading, they said "Apple seems to have decided that users don't need that silly CD taking up space and got rid of it, which is fine for almost all Mac users, but might prove problematic for some PC users, especially those who do not already have iTunes 7.0 installed. In fact, the first step in the instructions is "Download and install iTunes 7.0.""

I am a PC user, and I just want to double check before purchasing a new nano tomorrow that there is nothing stopping me from having a problem free nano experience? Why would downloading iTunes prove "problematic"?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
meanpeoplesuck said:
Sorry for bumping my thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just for this question -

In part of a review I was reading, they said "Apple seems to have decided that users don't need that silly CD taking up space and got rid of it, which is fine for almost all Mac users, but might prove problematic for some PC users, especially those who do not already have iTunes 7.0 installed. In fact, the first step in the instructions is "Download and install iTunes 7.0.""

I am a PC user, and I just want to double check before purchasing a new nano tomorrow that there is nothing stopping me from having a problem free nano experience? Why would downloading iTunes prove "problematic"?
Downloading iTunes is only going to be problematic if you don't have a broadband Internet connection... it's a pretty big download. The new iPods (nano and shuffle 2.0) do not come with iTunes on CD like they used to.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
meanpeoplesuck said:

There's nothing "problematic" about having to download iTunes 7, the author of the article is just annoyed that it doesn't come on a CD anymore. He's mistaken too, Mac users also had to download it.

I have four (yeah, I know, but I won one and my Dad found another) iPods and none of them have any problems, well, except my 3G iPod which has crap battery life. It seems that it's not a good idea to use a A$500 electronic device in -50°C temperatures...

Most of the complaints you hear are from people who somehow decided an expensive, Hard-disk-based device could handle being chucked around with their wallets and phones, no that you need to "baby" an iPod but hell, if I were to spend all that money on something I sure as hell would look after it.

Have fun with your new nano, they sure are fantastic devices.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
meanpeoplesuck said:

That review is stupid. I guess they are assuming PC users don't know how to use the internet and download the program. On a mac, iTunes would already be installed. I use a PC and never used that CD. I downloaded the latest iTunes from apple.com.

Seriously the iPod was the best thing that ever happened to my music listening experience. You'll be fine.

JimmyB248

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
I've owned 3 iPods, a Photo which I replaced with a 60gb 5g which I proceeded to break accidentally but lying on a bench with the iPod in my pocket and headphones infront of the screen. Weight on top of the iPod onto a bench = smashed screen. Got myself a 30gb 5g in black (wish I'd gone with white, prefer it so much more) and haven't had a single problem apart from scratches.

I watch a hell of a lot of video on mine, but I'm so tempted by the 2g Nano's, I'm in love with them. Only thing that's stopping me from getting one (apart from cash and no real need other than it being puurrdy) is that I want the blue one, and I also want it to be 8gb. So I'm not buying. I understand the idea of black showing off some power for people who want to show off, but damnit it's a frecking stupid move to cripple the colours. I don't like black! (iPod colour, no racial slurs guys). Shame Apple did this really.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Well my mini broke this afternoon so I'll definitely be getting a Nano to replace it. Going for black since I really have no need to watch videos on a small screen, I have a palm and can count the number of times I've put a video on it with one hand. My music collection is about 11GB thats including almost 3GB's worth of French lessons, so I really don't need 30GB even if its the same price. Yes I can use the extra space for backups, but thats what I use my 10GB 2g iPod and now 4GB mini for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.