Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
My comment on the sleep mode: last night I fully charged my nano and loaded it with content. I used it a bit until the battery indicator was just barely below full. Then I put it into sleep mode (with no music playing of course). Today I turned it on and the battery meter was still at the same spot, so it didn't eat any significant battery.

So I'm not seeing any issue with sleep mode eating any significant battery.

I do believe that the radio eats battery much faster than regular music playing, and probably even more with Live Pause turned on.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
My comment on the sleep mode: last night I fully charged my nano and loaded it with content. I used it a bit until the battery indicator was just barely below full. Then I put it into sleep mode (with no music playing of course). Today I turned it on and the battery meter was still at the same spot, so it didn't eat any significant battery.

So I'm not seeing any issue with sleep mode eating any significant battery.

I do believe that the radio eats battery much faster than regular music playing, and probably even more with Live Pause turned on.

This has been my experience so far also. I full charge yesterday morning, and put it in sleep mode. I forgot to take it with me today and when I just checked it a few minutes ago, and it it pretty much still showing full.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Haven't touched mine in over 24 hours. Just sleeping. No battery drop at all.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That battery is so tiny. The only situation I can see the 6G Nano lasting 24hr is if you played just music and nothing else.

Well, yeah. That is how they rate the battery life you know. When they say it lasts for 24 hours, that means simply playing music at a moderate volume without touching the controls or activating the screen at all.

Also, if it's anything like the 5th gen then using the radio (even with live pause deactivated) uses up the battery at perhaps 3 times the rate of listening to mp3s.

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Well, after conditioning the battery last night. My Nano 6G has lasted longer today at work but i'm going to condition it again tonight.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I tried again last night to check the battery drain while sleeping. This time I put the clock on-screen (no music playing) and let the iPod shut off the screen after 60 seconds. Checked it this morning and the battery still shows as full.

Anyone having significant battery drain while the iPod is in sleep state should call Apple because it is not normal behaviour (unless of course you left music playing!)

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Make sure that the Pedometer is set to Stop. Having it on (while the screen is off or not in use) kills the battery because the accelerometer is still being utilized.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Well, after conditioning the battery last night. My Nano 6G has lasted longer today at work but i'm going to condition it again tonight.

943182047d1249721477-happy-birthday-frank-facepalm.jpg

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I tried again last night to check the battery drain while sleeping. This time I put the clock on-screen (no music playing) and let the iPod shut off the screen after 60 seconds. Checked it this morning and the battery still shows as full.

Anyone having significant battery drain while the iPod is in sleep state should call Apple because it is not normal behaviour (unless of course you left music playing!)

Is it possible to control how long the screen stays ON?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks for the heads up on radio drain. I want to put on my BSE - bestskinsever.com - and my battery was still almost full from being charged on Friday night. I hadn't used it at all since then, so there is almost no drain in sleep mode. I occasionally checked the clock on it over the last week, but was not wearing it watch style. Though there is only really the dock port and headphone jack, I knew I could do a wet install on it as is, but since you can't actually turn the Nano completely off, I figured I would totally drain it off. Been running the radio for just over 3 hours now at 75% volume, and it should be out of gas in the next hour. Oh yeah, and I do have Live Pause active, so I don't know if it lasts longer with that turned off, but my goal was fastest drain.

Then it is time to skin.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Started mine up playing music (192k MP3s) this morning at 8:00am and left it going while I went to work. At 5:00pm the music was still going and the battery showed about 75% full, so it had lots left even after 9 hours of music playing. Volume was at about 40% and the screen was off. I highly suspect that playing the radio would not last that long.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Started mine up playing music (192k MP3s) this morning at 8:00am and left it going while I went to work. At 5:00pm the music was still going and the battery showed about 75% full, so it had lots left even after 9 hours of music playing. Volume was at about 40% and the screen was off. I highly suspect that playing the radio would not last that long.

Good to know that you were on pace for over 24 hours. Not sure how accurate the battery meter actually is. But if you can get even 20+ hours of playing music, that is great.

I just finished. A hair under 4 hours of radio playing and it shut off dead, with Live Pause enabled, and I messed with that just a little bit, pretty cool. Also volume was 75%. I was going for a quick drain though. Considering it is receiving a signal, I wouldn't expect near the battery life out of radio as for straight music. I was impressed.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Does playing it on full volume really suck that much energy? I swear it still seems my 3rd gen was better on battery than either my fifth or sixth.

I have to play it full volume when on the motorcycle in order to actually hear it (sucky speakers on my helmet + wind noise on highway).

I have noticed my new nano gets a ridiculous amount of battery sucked away (sadly I think even worse than the fifth gen) when I use it on the bike. And yet I accidentally let it play overnight (7-8 hours at least) plus I had done a 2 hour walk the day before and it had maybe 40% (judging by battery bar) or maybe 30% left (was playing at much less volume). Plus I'd been playing with it some so some time with screen on (of course, nothing close to 24 hours really). Then I rode with it on my motorcycle and it sucked away that last remaining in like less than 2 hours (and not all of that 2 hours was on, that's just how long I was gone) - or at least it put it to the red line).

Even today, after fulling charging and a 1 hour walk's worth of use (which barely had the battery bar moved from full) after riding my bike on a 30 minute commute it had only 60-70% left.

I get the feeling battery on this is going to be my one disappointment with it. I think my 3rd gen spoiled me (it was so good I'd forget I needed to charge it until it got really low and eventually I'd be like, oh yeah, maybe I'll charge it. Maybe once a week and this was between walking my dog and riding my motorcycle). My fifth gen also disappointed me with battery length.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Does playing it on full volume really suck that much energy? I swear it still seems my 3rd gen was better on battery than either my fifth or sixth.

I have to play it full volume when on the motorcycle in order to actually hear it (sucky speakers on my helmet + wind noise on highway).

I have noticed my new nano gets a ridiculous amount of battery sucked away (sadly I think even worse than the fifth gen) when I use it on the bike. And yet I accidentally let it play overnight (7-8 hours at least) plus I had done a 2 hour walk the day before and it had maybe 40% (judging by battery bar) or maybe 30% left (was playing at much less volume). Plus I'd been playing with it some so some time with screen on (of course, nothing close to 24 hours really). Then I rode with it on my motorcycle and it sucked away that last remaining in like less than 2 hours (and not all of that 2 hours was on, that's just how long I was gone) - or at least it put it to the red line).

Even today, after fulling charging and a 1 hour walk's worth of use (which barely had the battery bar moved from full) after riding my bike on a 30 minute commute it had only 60-70% left.

I get the feeling battery on this is going to be my one disappointment with it. I think my 3rd gen spoiled me (it was so good I'd forget I needed to charge it until it got really low and eventually I'd be like, oh yeah, maybe I'll charge it. Maybe once a week and this was between walking my dog and riding my motorcycle). My fifth gen also disappointed me with battery length.

I have one of these that my brother in law gave me for xmas. Didn't think I'd have any use for it, but it does come in handy. I use it sometimes with my iPhone.

appletutor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Same problem here!

Yes the battery life is awful. I contribute the problem to not having a dedicated "off" button. You have to press"pause" in order to shut the Nano "off". I find that the Nano is still playing, when I thought it was off? We need an "off" button so when we go to sleep we know the nano isn't draining!!!

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
Yes the battery life is awful. I contribute the problem to not having a dedicated "off" button. You have to press"pause" in order to shut the Nano "off". I find that the Nano is still playing, when I thought it was off? We need an "off" button so when we go to sleep we know the nano isn't draining!!!

Quit out of your playlist so that the song isn't queued up and ready to go. I find that this helps the battery life--maybe there is an intermediate stage of idleness between just "sleeping" with the screen off and having the iPod actually deactivate itself.

You attribute the problem to not having an off button, but there are all sorts of things that could be causing the problem. Your earphones could be major drainers, or you could be playing things with the volume way up, or you could be playing music burned at a high bit rate.

clearyjp

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The unit seems to switch off after a couple of days of being in standby. When you switch it on, the apple logo comes on the screen for a few seconds, and then it goes back to the home screen.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Quit out of your playlist so that the song isn't queued up and ready to go. I find that this helps the battery life--maybe there is an intermediate stage of idleness between just "sleeping" with the screen off and having the iPod actually deactivate itself.

You attribute the problem to not having an off button, but there are all sorts of things that could be causing the problem. Your earphones could be major drainers, or you could be playing things with the volume way up, or you could be playing music burned at a high bit rate.

I have noticed that when the ipod is on full volume even if it isn't playing anything htere is "static" playing as if it's still on and just not playing anything. You probably wouldn't notice it unless the ipod is on full volume, but it doesn't seem to fully turn off.

appletutor

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
How do you "quit" out of playlist?

How do you "quit" out of playlist?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My 6G's battery life is still great.... I've had it for around 2 months. I charge it once a week, and I use it daily.

All these "tricks" that everyone is using...... I think it's all in your minds...... or you have faulty nanos.

I don't do anything special to preserve battery life..... when I'm finished listening, I just make sure it's on pause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.