Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I like the new Nano very much. It seems quite a bit louder than my iphone. Navigation is intuitive and the touch screen is snappy and responsive.

Maybe I got an imperfect one, or maybe I'm just totally spoiled by the iPhone 4 screen, but the Nano's screen looks very washed out to me, and the viewing angles seem pretty limited. Angling it even slightly away from my face causes the screen to go all solarized/negative looking, no matter which way I angle it or which way I have the screen rotated. And even at the ideal angle, there are no true deep blacks.

Anyone else feel the screen is kinda weak? In 2010, shouldn't we be past crappy screens on such a small device?

MisterFeeney

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
San Francisco
Would be nice if there was an iPhone 4-like screen in the Nano, then again it is just a very featureless device compared to previous generations and I'm not surprised the screen isn't as good as we might have hoped. :apple:

psychPurple

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
I like the new Nano very much. It seems quite a bit louder than my iphone. Navigation is intuitive and the touch screen is snappy and responsive.

Maybe I got an imperfect one, or maybe I'm just totally spoiled by the iPhone 4 screen, but the Nano's screen looks very washed out to me, and the viewing angles seem pretty limited. Angling it even slightly away from my face causes the screen to go all solarized/negative looking, no matter which way I angle it or which way I have the screen rotated. And even at the ideal angle, there are no true deep blacks.

Anyone else feel the screen is kinda weak? In 2010, shouldn't we be past crappy screens on such a small device?

Mine is great, roughly the same as my 1G touch in quality. it is a bit hard to read out in direct sun, but most things do. other than that it doesn't do any negative colours at odd angles, but i have the brightness down a bit, that might help?

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I like iPod Nano 6G, the shape looks like the 3rd Gen, and so cute, although the multi-touch is not so good...

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Not a defect. Mine is exactly like that too... there are no actual blacks, it's more of a charcoal/dark grey. Unless you're looking at it head-on, album art colours look worse the darker the motif. It looks fine for "brighter" coloured albums (eg. Kanye West's "Graduation") but for things like Jay-Z's "The Black Album" it looks, frankly, horrible. It is a sort of "first-gen" type of iPod but that doesn't excuse the poor screen quality. Then again all I need is a player with a screen that can sync with iTunes so this works for me :p I love the small size and touch too!

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Definitely poor quality. But what bugs me the most is this:

In the bottom right of the screen there seems to be a small (maybe bead size?) area that is discolored/warped. On dark backgrounds I notice this one spot is much darker than other areas and just generally off.

I assume its a defect in mine, but it just seems weird. I'll probably get it swapped out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.