nano or touch?? which one should i get??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aye5882, Sep 14, 2007.

1. aye5882 macrumors member

hey guys. i just bought the ipod touch from the apple store. i haven't opened it cuz i'm still undecided on which i should keep. i figured that i'll buy the touch now since it'll probably sell out when word of mouth gets around... and i can just buy the nano if i decide to return the touch...

anyway, i'im still debating which one i should keep. $200 (8gb nano) vs $300(8gb touch) is not really a big deal. the thing i'm trying to decide is whether i'll be using the features of the touch. well, the big advantage of the touch is the bigger screen screen which i can watch movies, cover flow, etc. but then again, the nano can play movies now too... and they looked pretty nice from the nano. so if i really wanted to watch a movie, i could always use the nano. i'm not even sure if i'll be watching movies w/ the touch anyway since i can always watch them on my mbp. and i don't really care for coverflow too. honestly, i can't even see myself using safari cuz the screen is too small to use the internet. plus you have to find a wifi network... :confused:

portability might play a big factor in my decision. the nano is ultra portable whereas the touch is relatively big and clunky.

so what do you guys think???

thanks for the input! :)

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Keep the Touch. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.

Bob

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I agree with Bob. Keep the touch.

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If video is going to be a major use from you I'd say go for the Touch, but you also stated portability is an issue. If you think you'd rather have something tiny to take around I think the Nano is a great device, but video capabilities will certainly be better on the Touch.

Decide which is more important to you and go on that basis.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The touch has youtube. Who cares about safari, youtube gives you access to pretty much anything you want if you have a wifi connection, its not even so much youtube for the video but for the music since there are thousands of music videos, you can practically find any song even if there was never a real music video for it.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I won't vote one way or the other but I will mention something that you should consider. The back of the touch is the same reflective metal that has been on iPods for years and is a magnet for scratches. The nano on the other hand is scratch resistant which adds even more to it's portability.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

have you seen the new nanos? the back is the same shiny chrome that's found on the new ipod touch.

to the op, i say go with the touch. the cost isn't an issue for you, and you'll be getting the same capacity in a much sexier package. so many good reasons to go for the touch: safari, wifi itunes store, youtube and the future potential to hack for more apps.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

What? I was just at the Apple store yesterday and I could have sworn the new nano had the same back as the 2G nano which is very scratch resistant. And I can say from experience that the touch is an absolute magnet for scratches.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it might have been hard to see with the security tags on the back. i suggest you look at this page.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd keep the touch I guess, seeing as I never have more than one thing in my pocket at one time, so it doesn't really bother me what the size of it is. But i'd definitely have to look into finding a case for it. With a nano I wouldn't bother with a case and I'd be able to treat it more rough.

11. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

i personally would love to get my hands on a touch but i'm gonna wait a bit. the new features that make it more than just an ipod are awesome, but i can wait for a year and let the price drop a bit. also, after the "honeymoon" period with my ipod video i stopped taking it anywhere because of its size, takes up an entire shirt pocket. nano's are great for portability. just my 2 cents.

12. aye5882 thread starter macrumors member

hey guys, thanks for all the input!

does anyone know how the dimensions of the touch compared to the original ipod video (5G)?? i had that one and i remember thinking it was too wide, but i didn't mind the length tho. so i'm thinking that if the touch is even thinner and obviously less wide than the 5G, i wouldn't mind carrying it around in my pocket...