Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyder0109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm flying to singapore by chance in the coming weeks to my brother's place; I plan to buy an iPhone 5 but my only concern is the possiblity of cutting the MicroSIM into a nano-SIM as the latter is not officially available in my country (India)

Please help me knowing what could be a solution to it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It would be tough and if not done right then there's no turning back.
The nanosim is smaller and thinner.
So you will need to sand it or shave off same plastic from the back besides cutting it down at the exact size.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It would be tough and if not done right then there's no turning back.
The nanosim is smaller and thinner.
So you will need to sand it or shave off same plastic from the back besides cutting it down at the exact size.

I've been reading this is not possible to trim a micro sim to the nano version.

Could you provide the link to where it's confirmed as possible please.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Just read this this morning. It wont work.

The first comment on that article mentions that its only .09mm thinner and you could technically just use a little bit of sand paper to trim it down and make it fit. Seems like it could work, only time will tell....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I've been reading this is not possible to trim a micro sim to the nano version.

Could you provide the link to where it's confirmed as possible please.

Im not sure either but it will be a nightmare even trying it.
The cutting part its doable but then you have to deal with the thickness cause the microsim size wont fit in cause its too think for the tray.
So one would need to slice 15% of the thickness of a Micro SIM off without affecting the chip inside the card and that's not an easy process.
Here's a guide I came across but not sure if it works or not.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...Nano_SIM.pdf&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13475162191582

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Of course it will work, use your heads people. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't sand down a piece of cardboard to be 15% thinner? Attach your usim to something big and flat, use extra fine grit sand paper to sand the back, once you sand a bit check the fit. If it's still too thick, sand some more.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Of course it will work, use your heads people. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't sand down a piece of cardboard to be 15% thinner? Attach your usim to something big and flat, use extra fine grit sand paper to sand the back, once you sand a bit check the fit. If it's still too thick, sand some more.

I hear you.
Before it was easy with a sim cutter for example. You pop in a regural sim and it always cuts it down to microsim size.
Now its a little more difficult but if you mess up a little on either 4 cuts or the thickness then you will need a new sim to try it on.
Not impossible, we do got a probe on Mars:D

wildmannz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2005
nano-SIM

It's going to be pretty easy to get a nan-SIM anyway. If a carrier is going to sell phones, they'll be providing the right SIMs to go with them.

If you just want a SIM that you can swap, I'm sure that they will be made available too. Get a couple - and get them to transfer all your contacts across while your in-store.

Nano-SIM adapters have been available for a while now too - if you were worried about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.