Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The Pro Display XDR’s nano-texture display has now made its way to the much more affordable iMac line. Do you think we will see this as an option for the MacBooks with Apple Silicon? Is it feasible on a smaller screen? It’s a $500 option on the 27” screen, so perhaps it would be $249 on a 13.3” screen that’s about 25% of the size.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The Pro Display XDR’s nano-texture display has now made its way to the much more affordable iMac line. Do you think we will see this as an option for the MacBooks with Apple Silicon? Is it feasible on a smaller screen? It’s a $500 option on the 27” screen, so perhaps it would be $249 on a 13.3” screen that’s about 25% of the size.
i would assume not - wear and tear on mobile screens would not play well with the nano-texture.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
i would assume not - wear and tear on mobile screens would not play well with the nano-texture.

What wear and tear issues are you referring to? There's no difference between laptop screens and desktop screens other than the size. It's not a touch screen. The technology they're using can be applicable to any (non-touch for now?) screen, the size isn't a factor. The cost is.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What wear and tear issues are you referring to? There's no difference between laptop screens and desktop screens other than the size. It's not a touch screen. The technology they're using can be applicable to any (non-touch for now?) screen, the size isn't a factor. The cost is.
laptop screens are constantly in contact with things (e.g. keyboards), and people are always on the road cleaning them with things that you don’t want to use to clean your nano-texture screens.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
laptop screens are constantly in contact with things (e.g. keyboards), and people are always on the road cleaning them with things that you don’t want to use to clean your nano-texture screens.

Oh, for sure. Deny Nano-texture to all, just because you don't like the idea...

Reactions: Project Alice

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Oh, for sure. Deny Nano-texture to all, just because you don't like the idea...
That was a weird reply... He actually explained very well why it wouldn't work. I agree with cmaier 100% and not because he doesn't like the idea, but because the reasons he provided are valid. When you design a product, you have to take into account how people will use it.

Reactions: lars666 and Woochoo

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
That was a weird reply... He actually explained very well why it wouldn't work. I agree with cmaier 100% and not because he doesn't like the idea, but because the reasons he provided are valid. When you design a product, you have to take into account how people will use it.

It is not that it won't work, it is that most users are too lazy to properly care for such a screen.

If it were an option for a MacBook Pro, I would go for it; and I would use the "special cloth" from Apple to go between the screen & keyboard when laptop is closed. I would expect Apple to design for such usage?

Reactions: kaans

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It is not that it won't work, it is that most users are too lazy to properly care for such a screen.

If it were an option for a MacBook Pro, I would go for it; and I would use the "special cloth" from Apple to go between the screen & keyboard when laptop is closed. I would expect Apple to design for such usage?
They could change their tagline to "It just (sort of) works".

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Remember the fiasco with antiglare coatings coming off in patterns that matched the MBP keyboard?

Given that the nano texture glass is so sensitive that it can only be cleaned with a special Apple cloth they sell for $9, I think there's zero chance they would put it on a notebook where it makes contact with plastic keys.

Reactions: Waragainstsleep

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
I agree with what others have said. Imagine the uproar on the internet if they had nano texture screens on the MacBooks and it developed markings on the screen from keyboards and dirt. Also, this would happen to the majority of MacBooks as well.
I take care of my stuff and clean it regularly but I have discovered that the only way to prevent markings on the screen of my MacBooks is to place a cloth in between the screen and keyboard. But that is inconvenient.

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I agree with what others have said. Imagine the uproar on the internet if they had nano texture screens on the MacBooks and it developed markings on the screen from keyboards and dirt. Also, this would happen to the majority of MacBooks as well.
I take care of my stuff and clean it regularly but I have discovered that the only way to prevent markings on the screen of my MacBooks is to place a cloth in between the screen and keyboard. But that is inconvenient.
I still have the foam pad that came with my 2003 PowerBook G4 for exactly that reason.

Reactions: Boil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.