Nano vs. Touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Topher15, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Is the Touch worth it?

I've only ever owned Nano's and was going to get a 16GB one, although I'm now drawn to the Touch due to all the extra stuff it offers.

The only thing that's holding me back is the ease of the click wheel. Did anyone else originally not want to transfer to the touch screen interface?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have an 8GB G2 Nano. Works well. Thin. Small. Functional.

I was glad that I waited for the G2 version. Much better for me than the G1 version. The G3 version offered a much better display. But I disliked the form factor. Too hard to hold in my hand and use the click wheel.

Then came the Touch. Bigger screen, apps, WiFi and of course the Touch interface. Liked the concept.

So I purchased a 32GB model. Got a good discount at the time. Sweet. I like the added flexibility that the Touch provides me over the Nano. The bigger screen is a plus for me when watching videos and showing pictures. Being able to check e-mail is convenient.

The new Nano has gone back to the G2 form factor which is nice. And it uses the same screen as the G3 Nano which is a big improvement. I like the new shuffle function.

Overall, I prefer the Touch interface over the click wheel. Easier to use for me. The G2 Touch offers longer battery life, thinner and tapered form factor, speaker, and volume controls. Nice improvements.

If purchasing today, I would probably go with a 32GB Touch because of the larger screen, longer battery life, and ability to run applications.

3. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Yeah Apps, games, internet and email is what is sending me towards the Touch. The volume control on the Touch and earphones is also great. One of the things I hated about the old Touch was the fact you had to look at the screen just to alter the volume. One of the benefits of the click wheel was the ability to change volume and tracks without taking it out of your pocket.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

you'll enjoy both so you won't go wrong either way.

However, i think you might enjoy the touch much more. :) And since you've already owned nanos...it's time to try something a little different. Be open to new experiences..

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Touch is a brick. If you're going to be using it as an audio player then you're going to be carrying a big lump around to do so.

The new nano looks good, get that.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I dunno. I use the Touch with a remote so it can live in my trouser pocket most of the time when I'm using it as a music player - and because it's reasonably thin, it doesn't get in the way much.

Navigation wise the touch is a little less immediate than the click wheel, but you'll get used to it.

And if you want to do other stuff, you have the flexibility at hand as well.

I say get it unless ultimate portability is necessary.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If you dont already own an iPhone then you're in a spot! Otherwise the Nano is a no brainer!

If you dont own an iPhone then consider your capacity requirements and what will you be using the iPod more for? Music or Videos! Also, consider if you need the internet and out of 24Hrs how many will you spend near an accessible WiFi!

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Evaluate what you want to do with your iPod. Music, photos and the like then nano is the way to go. If you want much more go iPod touch.