nanofrog - Daisy Chaining Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Beatles, Aug 16, 2010.

1. The Beatles macrumors regular

Im hoping nanofrog will see this.

So if your him...I've read some threads and your knowledge on drive performance is epic.

I had a question I was hoping you would answer. My new iMac i7 should be here tomorrow. I had two fire wire 800 drives. The iMac only has one fire wire port. Should i daisy chain these drives both on the fire wire 800 port? Is there a risk of data loss or slow down due to daisy chaining?

I could just use the usb for the drive that'll be used for backup. Then put the archive drive on the faster firewire 800.

it may sound simple, but i have no idea and i'd just like to get your opinion. especially on the safety and performance of daisy chaining the FW800 drives (they both have usb ports too).

thanks in advance.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Daisy chaining is fine as long as you do not exceed the 63 drive limit. It will not cause any loss of speed or data loss.

3. The Beatles thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, I can't live with such limitations...

Seriously though, thats awesome. On another topic, I removed the smaller 2 Gig factory ram chips and put them in slots 3 and 4, then installed the bigger 4Gig chips in slot 1 and 2.

I heard this helps ram performance. Someone got better numbers during a bench marking test. Have you ever heard of that helping performance?